We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Studying Mandarin in China

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Studying Mandarin in China

I travelled China last year and enjoyed it so much that I want to go back and spend around 2/3 months there this summer and learn Mandarin.

I really don't want to go somewhere that I haven't been since when I visited China there were several places I thought I'd love and then when I got there I couldn't wait to leave.

The places I'd consider are:

Beijing

Shanghai

Guilin

Chengdu

I jut can't seem to make a decision of where to stay. I think I could not live for a long period of time in a small place like Guilin and so would prefer to live in a larger city where they speak fairly standard mandarin and have an underground train.

I just can't seem to understand the fact that 2 months learning mandarin and accommodation in a smaller city like Chengdu costs £1500 and the same in Beijing or Shanghai costs around £3000 without living expenses!

Learning at a private school is my only option as I can only have 2/3 months holiday from university in UK.

The thing about living in the smaller cites is that there are going to be less younger foreign people (I'm 20) and even though I'm there to learn mandarin and speak to locals I still want to meet international people and feel comfortable.

Also the schools in smaller cites have either really bad websites with hardly any information and no reviews so I don't know if there any good.

Has anyone had experience learning mandarin in Beijing/Shanghai or a smaller city who can justify spending double.

I know I will be there to study but I want to have a good time in a city meet new people and go out at night etc since it is my holiday as well.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,055 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Studying Mandarin in China

Beijing and Shanghai are large international cities so the cost of living is higher. You are more likely for find better language schools in these two cities as these are the places where students are more likely to go to learn some mandarin (especially Beijing).

Cost is not just about how expensive the cities are, remember that you get ehat you pay for. Make sure that the quality of the program and quality of the teachers is adequate for the cheap options. Everybody in China think that they can teach mandarin.

By the way, you will not lesrn mandarin in 2-3 months. You will learn some mandarin, probably not enough to have a conversation with locals. For this you need 2-3 years.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Studying Mandarin in China

Yeh that makes sense. I guess I get what I pay for and so I guess the decisions between Shanghai and Beijing.

Yes I totally understand but I think it would be good grounding to start learning and should get to know the basics.

Thanks for your reply!

3. Re: Studying Mandarin in China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:31 am, January 17, 2014
Edited: 8:31 am, January 17, 2014
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Studying Mandarin in China

£3000 is better to be a one to one course. Check the public universities. Most also offer summer short term courses.

A random google I found Jiao Tong U in ShangHai: …sjtu.edu.cn/admission/non-degree-programs/s…

Here is Jinan U in Guangzhou: …cucas.edu.cn/HomePage/…Program_22040.shtml

Check the universities. Many foreign student come to China in summer for language, not possible to be that expensive.

Also give Guangzhou a consideration:) Great public transportation, more than enough foreign students/expat to communicate with English/party with. I have an European friend who came to a Guangzhou university for 4 months, with 0 background. After 3 months I saw him bargained in market in mandarin (better than I...). Language does take time, but also heavily depends on individual's ability.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Studying Mandarin in China

I would go for Chengdu. Beijing and Shanghai as said already. Guilin area sees a lot of tourists hence a lot of locals try to make a quick buck. Would say that the quality of the schools there is rather low. Chengdu however is a bit "off" the main track but very well developed and THE metropolis of Western China. So would guess besides good language schools you would still get a good mix of the "old" China and the hyper modern China.

6. Re: Studying Mandarin in China

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, January 17, 2014
7. Re: Studying Mandarin in China

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 am, January 17, 2014
8. Re: Studying Mandarin in China

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 19, 2015