We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

We have 6 full days in Beijing (Sun to Fri)

My plan:

Day 1

Panjiayuan Market - Temple of Heaven - Drum Bell Towers. Lunch at Old Beijing Zhajiang Noodle King .

Nanluoguxiang / Hou Hai and then Hutong. Dinner at Dali Courtyard Restaurant

Day 2

Great Wall (Jinshanling) and stop by Olympic site on the way back to Beijing ( we hired a car)

Dinner at Da Tong

Day 3

Tiananmen Square - Forbidden City - Jingshan Park - Beihai Park - ShiChaHai Park

Dinner at Han Cang

Day 4

Summer Palace

Dinner at Ding Ding Xiang hotpot

Not sure what else I can do in Beijing. We are not into Shopping. Or Maybe I should spend Day 6 and 7 to see the Terra Cotta Warriors at Xi An? Doable?

Any good must try restaurant?

Please feel free to chip in!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

Forbidden City ( the Imperial Palace ), Tiananmen Square and Great Wall at Badaling, Juyongguan, Mutianyu, Simatai and Jinshanling are interesting places you should go when traveling to Beujing

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

Changing hotel because I have 2 nights free stay at Westin financial St.

Picked Raffles Beijing because I feel that wangfujing area is more accessible.

Many thanks for your kind advise :)

P/s Any must try Chinese restaurant that I may have missed?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

Yes why are you changing hotels? Westin Financial street is exactly where you don't want to be--it's convenient to nothing and will force a lot more travel which will come out of your sightseeing and shopping time. If you have to change hotels due to cost or availability reasons or having some promo, you'd be better MUCH better off going to the Westin Chaoyang for those last 2 nights since so much of your activity focus is swinging in that direction for the last part of your visit. If switching from one Westin to the other is not feasible, then other good hotels in better location can be considered depending on budget, loyalty program, etc.

Moving hotels will take some time out of your Day 5 and therefore order of doing things will need to be reconfigured. You didn't account for this in your plan but I assure you that to get back to first hotel and get things ready to check out, transport to new hotel and get checked in and stuff in room, need to take about 3 hours out of the afternoon to do this. I don't think Beihai works anymore here and you need to move it to Day 6 morning or to some other day and forego something else. Your new Day 6 plan didn't work anyway since doing the museum in the morning then getting all the way out to 798 (very inconveniently located) then getting back to your dinner venue in horrible rush hour traffic is a nonstarter. 798 will take up 5+ hours for transport to/from and walking around time. And you don't want to be returning from 798 between 16:00 and 19:00, trust me on this. You're going to have to choose because even with 6 full days, Beijing has so much to see/do that you can't get around to everything.

Again, I think you need to stop worrying about the restaurants for the moment, and get your hotel situation clarified. That was a very important piece of information that you left out of your original post and the plan may need a rethink, and you may need to drop one or two of the lower priority sights. Come back with an update on what, if anything, you are doing about this then we can all proceed with adjusting the plan and refiguring restaurants if necessary.

BTW, I disagree with #10 on putting Beihai before the qipao fitting for a number of reasons but that was under the assumption you'd be staying at the Raffles the entire time. So this particular issue may end up being a moot point.

The other important piece of information I didn't catch was time of year of your visit. I had assumed it was not in the winter since you mentioned a flag lowering ceremony at 19:45 which suggests May-July period, but maybe you should clarify that also since useable daylight and opening hours do change during the year. .

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

OK, just saw your message immediately before mine which for some reason I missed before I wrote the above. Again, it's a real pity that the freebie is where it is. Are you scheduled there for the first two nights or the last two?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

Last 2 nights at Westin.

I'm goin in in a few days times. And sun setting at 5-6pm, which means I gonna miss the flag setting.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,600 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

Well, that was another piece of important information left out--since travel now means short days and less useable daylight. That said:

Days 1-3 of your latest plan should still work out OK

Day 4 should also work out OK except for the flag lowering ceremony.

Day 5 and 6 you need to rearrange your plans.

For Day 5: Check out of your hotel in the morning and get over to the Westin by taxi preferably by 10:00 am. If you can get up early and leave before 08:00 even better. You should get out of the Raffles/WFJ area in the morning rather than leave it until later. If the Westin can't check you in early there, have the bell staff hold your luggage in the bell closet until you get back later in the day. Then go all the way over to Sanlitun to check on the qipao and have a QUICK lunch or snack somewhere around there. Then head out to 798 and spend from about 13:00 to 16:00 there before getting back to 3rd Ring Road/Liangma. Dinner around 18:00 at Xiheyiyuan which is on your list and right by that intersection and the Westin Chaoyang. By dinner's end the worst of the rush hour should be over and you can cab to Westin Financial to check-in.

Day 6: Morning Summer Palace. Try to get there by 08:00 and leave around 11:00 then go to Beihai Park by cab to the SOUTH gate. Have a snack there but don't waste two hours on a sit-down meal. Do the White Dagoba first then walk to north part of park and exit the north gate roughly about 15:00. Back to SLT by subway to pick up the qipao then to Najia XiaoGuan for dinner.

If 798 does not appeal as much as the Museum, then on Day 5 afternoon do that instead, and have dinner at Huajiacai Wangfujing before heading to Westin Financial street, or just eat at the hotel. You simply do not have the time to get every sight on your list into the mix, nor do you have time to get all the restaurants in . I personally think you are overscheduling the restaurants.

17. Re: Need help to plan for 6 full days in Beijing with Parents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 18, 2014