We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Audio Guide at the Forbidden City

Reading
Level Contributor
21 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Audio Guide at the Forbidden City

On day 9 of an 11 day stay in Beijing and had a fantastic time so far, today we are going to the Forbidden City, we have had a great guide/ driver for the last three days so today wanted some time on our own. However, I understand that audio guides are available at the Forbidden City, I wondered if anyone has had experience of them and how long the "tape" would last?

I will post an update on our stay later.

Thanks

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Audio Guide at the Forbidden City

Also wanted to add: you rent the audioguide near the ticketing area at the south entrance of the FC, and return the guide near the north exit of the FC so you don't have to go back to the start. Visitor traffic is now normally everybody enters south, and exits north (facing Jingshan Park).

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Audio Guide at the Forbidden City

And you need to leave a deposit.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Audio Guide at the Forbidden City

No. No deposit required. You just return the audio device at the north gate on leaving FC. You also can't bring the device with you as souvenir as the device will trigger a warning at the exit. There will be a warning board at the exit to warn you on this.

Been to FC recently, so I know. To return back to the south, just take bus 103. Bus fare is RMB1 per person.

Edited: 8:47 pm, December 06, 2013
Melbourne
Level Contributor
292 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Audio Guide at the Forbidden City

Last year, I was able to return the equipment on the east gate (I think) as it was closest to the hotel I was staying at.

No deposit as mentioned above and also no passport presentation. Anyway, you can't walk away with it as the alarm can be heard long before you approach the gate and this will send the sleeping guard outside! It was quite funny ....

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,445 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Audio Guide at the Forbidden City

Ok, must have changed since I last went.

16. Re: Audio Guide at the Forbidden City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 08, 2014