We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

Hi,

where is the best authentic peking duck restaurant locals go to in Beijing? thank you.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

Depends on your price range. Authentic duck available at many price points--to some extent a lot of the price difference is in the atmosphere and service.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,052 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

All will be authentic. Best is a matter of opinion. Generally Da Dong is considered the best but it is expensive and they have poor service. For high end I prefer Duck de Chine or Made in China.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

And for cheaper duck I like Xiang Man Lou or maybe Bianyifang.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,891 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

Picking a high quality restaurant which serves Duck is more important than picking a Duck restaurant.

One thing to remember is that Peking duck by itself is not a meal, it is just one of the many dishes in a meal. For example if you are in a Chinese banquet, duck is just one of 12 dishes, usually not considered as the top dish. 2nd thing is that everybody want Peking Duck when they visit Beijing, while among connoisseurs, best Peking Duck is not in BJ, but in HK or Taipei, where tradition was kept uninterrupted, when fine dining disappeared in China for 30-50 years, only came back in the last 10-20 years, mostly in the last 10 years. A "Duck Restaurant", as the most famous BJ one I tried, tend to have very bad dishes.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,922 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

For good mid-range duck in nice atmosphere, Xi He Ya Yuan. Along with the places I mentioned above, has good non-duck dishes at reasonable prices.

The places I would avoid: Liqun and the branches of Quanjude.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,052 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

I agree on these places to avoid. For reasonable price duck, I would also add Private Kitchen.

7. Re: authentic peking duck restaurant in beijing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 21, 2014