We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

San Diego...
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

I would like to visit both Hong Kong and Beijing and am wondering if I qualify for the 72 hour visa in Beijing. My concern is my outgoing flight from Los Angeles to Hong Kong stops in Beijing about three hours where I need to change planes in Beijing to fly to Hong Kong. On the way Hong Kong I would like to visit Beijing for 72 hours than return to Los Angeles. My main concern is since I am changing planes in Beijing to fly to Hong Kong and than coming back from Hong Kong to Beijing for the 72 hour visa en route to Los Angeles would that cause any problems? Appreciate any advice you could provide.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,922 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

Change plane, you mean on two different tickets via two different airlines? Your problem both going and coming back, may be whether the airline will let you board without a visa. So you'll have to convince the airline that you qualify for the visa free transit.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

Either LA-Beijing-HK or HK-Beijing-LA qualify. HK-Beijing-HK would not qualify.

All explained here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c188665/China…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

Well that is my confusion...I am going on same airline for all trips...LA to Hong Kong via Beijing and change planes...than on the way back HK-Beijing-Los Angeles....So could I get the 72 hour visa on the second leg of my trip?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

Doesn't matter which airline. As long as you leave the country within 72 hours.

Airlines are familiar with this visa exemption, it is in their system. In the unlikely event that they cause you some trouble with boarding, ask to speak to a supervisor.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,926 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

If you're flying LAX-PEK-HKG-PEK-LAX, you may have up to 72 hours in PEK, both coming and going treated as separate periods. This assumes you have a US passport (given your profile location) or one of the other 44 nationalities allowed 72 hours instead of the standard 24 hours. It doesn't matter to the Chinese if you're on one ticket, multiple tickets, one or more airlines. When you check in at LAX and especially on the return at HKG, you need to tell the agent that you will be using Transit Without Visa privileges at PEK.

When asking visa or transit-without-visa questions, always mention the passport you will be traveling on.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

And also please note that the thing you are asking about is transit without visa. Without means you do not have a visa. I do wish everyone would refrain from asking whether they can get this visa since there isn't one.

Warsaw, Poland
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

So one question from me about 72hours free-visa transit in Beijing:)

I want to fly:

1) Warsaw-Amsterdam-Osaka (WAW-AMS-KIX), then

2) Tokio-Beijing (NRT-PEK)

3) and then after 55hours: PEK-AMS-WAW

but flight #2 can be NRT-PVG-PEK (stopver in PVG is 1h10min), flight number is the same, so that only "technical stop" - So - in this case - can I use Beijing 72h transit free-visa ?

There is also nonstop flight NRT-PEK (but a liitle bit more expensive than NRT-PVG-PEK).

So what do you think - is it be better to choose nonstop flight NRT-PEK?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,922 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

Flight #2 does not qualify for visa free transit as you are going from one Chinese city to another Chinese city.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,027 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

Did you read the article I gave in post #2? All the answers are there.

10. Re: Question about 72 hour visa in Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 21, 2014