We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight train to Xian

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
253 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight train to Xian

I'm still concerned about whether to try and book overnight soft sleeper tickets now or wait till we arrive in Beijing four days before we want to move on to Xian. I've been quoted 75 US$ for a soft sleeper ticket by an agency on-line. (Are these reliable?). But, if we wait and book in Beijing, will it be cheaper - and do you think we will still be able to get a ticket for the Z overnight train? Some posts say they get booked up v. quickly.. Thanks

Beijing,China
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight train to Xian

The fastest train (also most expensive)to xian is Z19(11hour30min."Z"means non-stop trains),The soft sleeper only 417 yuan(around $50).so,the $75 is too high.donot know your time in BJ,sometimes you may even get a air ticket with $80-90.

you may book your ticket immediately when you iarrive Beijing,except Z19,they have other night trains from BJ to Xian as the final station,like T41,T55,and T231(T means speacial fast,with stops only big city).12-13hours duration,soft sleeper price is same with Z19.yes indeed ,Some posts say they get booked up v. quickly, but you may try T train in stead of Z train,if all the tickets sold out(I donnot believe so),you may need to pay a "fee"to the agent,not more than 200yuan I believe, tell the agent you will book the airticket if they try to ask for the "fee"above 200 yuan when they see you from oversea.

have a nice trip.

hope you did not confused by my English writting ..

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight train to Xian

Ouch, that's such a rip-off! The soft sleepers are only 400/417 RMB for upper/lower bunk -- that's 50/52 USD each.

You might also want to email Richard Tian (richards@public3.bta.net.cn) and ask him for a quote; some other travellers have gotten tickets from him recently for definitely less.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight train to Xian

Hi

My friend and I are heading to China next Saturday for 3 weeks and we're taking 4 trains between all the major destinations inc Beijing - Xi'an. We booked our tickets through China Trip Advisor and so far their service has been fantastic.

Yes, the train ticket will cost you more booking it from here in advance, but one benefit is you can pay via credit card here whereas you can only pay for train travel in China with cash once you're there.

If you on a strict itinerary, I would highly recommend booking in advance.

Regards,

Carrie

4. Re: Overnight train to Xian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:41 am, August 13, 2009