We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 hours in Beijing airport

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
18 hours in Beijing airport

Hi all.. we have a transit stop in Beijing airport in early August and being there for 18 hours we were wondering if there were any one day tours we can pick up at the airport to take a look around?

Is it worth our while? Is it tough to get a visa for this so maybe not worth it? Are there hotels that may offer a day rate while we are stuck there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated . :)

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 hours in Beijing airport

It is probably better if you can leave you bags at the airport (not sure if it is posiblle). Than you can catch taxi to cener-Wanfujing pedestrial street. then continue to south to Forbidden city (plan to spend 3h inside) and Tian an men Sq. If you have time continue to south to Temple of Haven (2hours onside). Since you are not telling what time are you arriving and do you have all day from the morning, please take into consideration that everything closes at 5h p.m. (I mean attractions)and Temple of Haven is located in the heart of large park.

So if you like China and you arrive before noon I think it is worth ; )

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 hours in Beijing airport

I basically agree with the above. You will need to get a visa in advance. Check your luggage (if it isn't checked through) at the airport.

I would head to Qianmen at the south end of Tiananmen Square, have something to eat at a restaurant in that area, then walk north across the square. Then go into the Forbidden City. Purchase the audiotour ticket instead of the regular ticket if you want a guided tour. From there, you can go across the street and climb coal hill (if it is open).

If time permits, have dinner at a restaurant along Qianhai or Houhai lake (not too far away) and then head back to the airport.

Going to see the Great Wall would be an option as well. It would probably make sense just to hire a cab from the airport.

Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 hours in Beijing airport

Thanks guys for the advice. We do get in early.. about 7am so we will do it I think.

Appreciate the help :)

Beijing,China
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 hours in Beijing airport

The Coal Hill Park opposite the back door (north door) of Forbidden City is under renovation for the Olympic Games(regret that you guys cannot take the panorama view of Forbidden City),so you need not have to leave Forbidden City from its back door unless you will take travellevret 's advice going to Qianhai or Houhai lake for diner,

Qianhai or Houhai lake recently more and more popular for local s like me (we call that area "Shishahai" )and tourists,take a cab from back door of Forbidden City to that area should around 15 RUAN even during the rush hour .

most of taxi drivers English is not so good. so ,I post the Chinese character of "Shishahai" below, you may print it and show to the driver.

English: please take me to Shishahai"

Chinese:请带我去什刹海酒吧一条街

Hope you enjoy your trip in Beijing!

Skopje, Republic of...
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 hours in Beijing airport

Since you will arrive in the morning before or after Forbidden city you can go to Lamastery (rich budist temple, you need 1h for visit, north of Forbidden city), but it is open until 4/5h p.m.

You have time to visit 2 attractions so you must chose, depending what is your personal inerest.

If you decide for Temple of Haven go there first, then Tian an men Square, then Forbidden city. When they will close go to Beihai park, wich is near Forbidden city and is open until evening. Next to Beihai park is Wanfujing pedestrial street where you can have a coffe or lunch and finaly rest your feet.

My advice is to take taxi whenever you need (since you don't have much time and attractions are huge so save your feet for them) and to change enough money at the airoport so you will not bother your self and lose time and energy later.

Have a nice time and if you can take printed in chinese attractions you want to visit in order to show to taxi driver or people on the street ; )

6. Re: 18 hours in Beijing airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 15, 2009