We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stops on route to Cuandixia

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Stops on route to Cuandixia

Can anyone recommend places to stop on way to or from Haidian and Cuandixia. I've already hired a driver/guide and want to best use my only free day in China while on a two week work tour. Have already been to Ming Tombs and Great Wall at Mutianyi.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,741 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stops on route to Cuandixia

Just getting out and back to Cuandixia, plus quality time there, will take up 2/3 of a day. So whatever else you add must be on the route and able to fit in a couple of hours.

I recommend Fahai Si (Eunuch Temple). Eunuchs played a key role in the old history of Beijing. This temple has a small museum as well as the largest cemetary or eunuch tombs. There are also some well-preserved Ming-era murals--the latter now have restricted entrance to limit visitors for preservation reasons, but I recommend you pay the additional fee to view the originals in-situ/ (BTW it's chilly in that particular building). If the guide isn't knowledgeable, read up on the internet and print out a cheat sheet to take along. Location of this temple is fairly close to the road you will take out to Cuandixia, and it could be done either on the way to or from there. Together, these would pretty well max out an 08:00-17:00 day.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,758 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stops on route to Cuandixia

I rented a car and drove there and back. It was enough to fill a whole day with traffic and everything.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stops on route to Cuandixia

If you take the back way, round trip, into Cuandi xia, you can visit the Old Stone Road, the ancient route by which supplies were brought to the capital. Before arriving in Cuandixia, there are another two old villages that are worth a visit; Baiyu Cun, which has an impressive Ming gate, and Yan Jia Cun, a hillside village. Both can be explored in less than an hour. Allow two hours to explore Cuandixia, which is the highlight. In addition the road passes through an lava tunnel which is awesome to walk through with a lovely rarified atmosphere. Soon after is Shuang Shi Cun, Twin Stone Village, where the road squeezes between two massive rocks each with a temple on top also worth stopping. All the villages are living treasures, all within 20kms of each other, well worth visiting.

4. Re: Stops on route to Cuandixia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 03, 2014