We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Starkville...
Level Contributor
285 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Hi, Please advise me if ATM machines in China accept US debit cards without chip? I travelled to Taiwan 2 years ago and could not withdraw any cash because my debit card did not have chip on it.

I would really appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,292 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Yes, if your bank is part of the network accepted by that machine.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,052 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Yes. I am surprised that you could not use your card in Taiwan. We were in Taiwan last year and had no problems.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Just double check with your bank just in case.

One of my cards was playing up so now I have a Chinese bank account ready for my use and cards to go with it.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
285 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Thank you all for your response. My debit card is with Visa but NO chip technology. And I do not have any Chineses bank account. Should I get 2 different debit cards in case one does not work?

ThanksSocialSecurity--I hope changes were made recently in Taiwan because I went to many ATM machines in Taipei and the bank told me the problem is that my debit card did not have chip on it.

For this reason, I just want to make sure that I can withdraw cash using my No-chip US debit card. I do not plan on bringing any traveller check or US dollars with me; therefore, ATM is my only access to cash. Is this the wise thing to do? Thanks in advance for any insights.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,292 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

It is always wise to have two debit card, chip or no chip.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,292 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Also it may have to do with your bank blocking the transactions. Make sure to let your bank know that you are traveling to China.

Starkville...
Level Contributor
285 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Jean-Pierre D, thank you for your advice.

Taipei, Taiwan
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Well, before leaving US, you should call your bank and speak with a bank advisor to inform that you will be travelling to Taiwan, so that they can unblock you, and allow access for you to charge, withdraw from that country. Taiwan, Hong Kong, and China are considered "high risk"

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

Since your card is a visa card, so you can draw money from a ATM with a Visa sign on it. There may be limitations about how many times per day and how much money you can draw. As mentioned above, you have to call your bank to inform that you are in China.

10. Re: Do US debit cards(no chips) work in ATM machines in China?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, March 09, 2015