We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will I get Vegetarian Food in Beijing?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
7 posts
Save Topic
Will I get Vegetarian Food in Beijing?

Hi,

I am visiting Beijing for a week on a business trip. I am a pure vegetarian and I am really worried about what I can eat while at Beijing. I am staying near the China trade center. Please help me with near by places (Near Silk Market/China trade center) where I can get good vegetarian food.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will I get Vegetarian Food in Beijing?

Please search the forum - many posts already. But please note that here in China also dishes with little meat inside qualify as "vegetarian" in local Chinese restaurants . So better you know where to go instead of asking the staff in a restaurant. Many Chinese think that foreigners not eating meat are just afraid to try Chinese meat and will tell you that "it is no problem to eat - very fresh". They don`t really understand the possible religious aspect of it.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will I get Vegetarian Food in Beijing?

This isn't going to be a problem in Beijing. There are plenty of places in the vicinity of your hotel that have dishes with only vegetables....without hidden meat. There is also a decent Indian restaurant (Taj Pavilion) less than 10 minute walk from your hotel and they definitely have vegetarian-only dishes. Beijing does have Buddhist-run 100% vegetarian places in the city but they aren't near your hotel. Usually if you have somebody write on a card in Chinese characters "I'm Buddhist and don't eat ANY meat" and then show the restaurant that, they'll get the message. Even if you're actually Hindu or vegetarian for non-religious reasons, the Buddhist comment is more within the Chinese mental framework and cultural context.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,805 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will I get Vegetarian Food in Beijing?

Go to this website: http://www.mobilenative.com/index.php

In the first search box enter 'vegetarian' in the second search box enter 'Guomao' (where you hotel is) and see the suggestions.

Tons of vegetarian or vegan restaurants in Beijing. Pure Lotus is pretty famous. Not sure what Paddy O'Shea is doing in the list of vegetarian restaurants though.

Also read this: http://vegetarian-china.info/

this cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/… ;

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
169 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will I get Vegetarian Food in Beijing?

Nice thread.Me , wife and 9 yr old daughter are visiting China for 12 days in November..wife and daughter are vegetarians.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will I get Vegetarian Food in Beijing?

Um, JP, the problem is that so many of the recommendations that come up are nowhere near Guomao. I have to laugh about Paddy O'Shea's though. Not near Guomao and ....vegetarian??? LOL.

6. Re: Will I get Vegetarian Food in Beijing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2014