We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beijing airport taxis

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
beijing airport taxis

I am going to Beijing in july and I am a young solo female traveler and I was wondering what is the best way to get from the airport to Sunworld Dynasty Wangfujing hotel? It seems like the taxi way is popular, but I was wondering how safe is it? I am really scared of getting scammed. I have never been to Beijing, but I do speak chinese. I was thinking about taking the airport shuttle line 3 to changyaomen and then taking multiple subway lines to get to Dengshikou station and then walk? Or should I take the shuttle to changyaomen and then take a taxi to my hotel? I will arrived in Beijing around 1-2 PM.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,677 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: beijing airport taxis

Smart to get out.

Same thing happened to me once at JFK in New York city about 30 years ago, I got out the car and went back to the taxi line. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. There are always people outside major airports exits whispering "Taxi, taxi." to travelers, I learned the lesson 30 years ago, that was my first of 30-40 NYC visits, I do not make the same mistake again. Still the same now at JFK in New York.

lux
Level Contributor
34 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: beijing airport taxis

Beijing taxi airport

Take only the officiel taxi, black and yellow. From airport to ring 2 hotel ~150 chy. If you get cought by non officiel they offer you trip for 500chy. Same thing for the rest of the trip. If possible take the metro or an officiel taxi. From ring 2 to art786 cost ~35 chy

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: beijing airport taxis

Ring road 2 is a rather big area. Do you mean 798 Art District?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: beijing airport taxis

Black and yellow?!?! Which country did you visit?

Getting a real licensed cab at Beijing airport has got to be one of the easiest processes of a trip. General infor here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294212-s304/Beijing:…

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: beijing airport taxis

2 days ago, we took a taxi from PEK Terminal 2 to the Dongzhimen area. On the way to the official taxi stand, we were approached by 3 or 4 guys about taxi rides. We just passed them by. When we reached the official line, there was another guy who came right up to us speaking Chinese only, gesturing us to his taxi which he pointed to, official looking taxi with trunk open parked only 10m from the other taxis that people were getting into. No one payed attention to this guy. It was weird how the uniformed attendants, whom I assumed were the real deal, seemed to tolerate the guy, allowing him to bother folks standing in line. He started raising his voice, pointing us to go to his vehicle. We just waited until it was our turn, then the official attendant assigned us a taxi that had just arrived. It was 2-toned, yellow and other dark color, dark green I think. I'm still puzzled who the lone taxi guy was. If he was legit, why did everyone ignore him. We just stuck with the plan as suggested here and waited and followed what the other riders were doing.

It was about midnight. We had just arrived from Kuala Lumpur. Our driver went directly to our hotel with the meter on. There was one toll booth (10 RMB) on the way. When we arrived the meter was at 82.00. I removed my luggage from the taxi trunk (driver did not assist, he just stayed in the car, no problem), then I went to his window and gave the guy a 100 bill, he sped off without giving me change or a receipt. I figure he owed me 8. This is in contrast to an identical trip from airport to same hotel a few weeks earlier. That guy was very honest, handing me a receipt, explaining something to me in Chinese about the fare, then giving me change. Oddly, that fare was 78.00 total, including toll. Both trips were in very low traffic after midnight, same distance. Return trip to the airport from this same hotel in heavy traffic at mid day was 86, with receipt. The last guy drove slowly and was honked at several times by aggressive drivers, the only slow driver we encountered our entire trip.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,677 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: beijing airport taxis

Thanks for the good detailed report. There are 2 ways to look at it, there were 2 guys who may be bad guys. The way I like to see it is the other 99.99999% of the people follow the rules, that is the progress China and people made in the last few years.

We were at the same taxi line 2 weeks ago, no problem at all at 2PM.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: beijing airport taxis

Chinese tend not to rock the boat. They put up with all sorts, you might say. No incentive for those workers to tell the obvious scammers to sling their hooks. If he's ignored he's not causing any problem. Simple fact is that in these situations the culturally appropriate thing to do is to completely ignore the person. Difficult for many westerners to do.

Walt, you did right getting your bags out before paying but you should have opened the front door and sat inside with it open whilst paying. Don't pay through a window of a car that can drive away easily. Only 8rmb this time - could have been worse.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,677 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: beijing airport taxis

During our recent 12 days visit in China, our 30th business trip in 20 years, on several occasions while waiting in line, there was often one person tried to cut into the line. I am never shy to tap him/her on the shoulder to get that person into the line behind me, always worked.

In Xi'an airport waiting for airporter bus, a young man got a bit tough, "Don't you grab me!" I was equally firm, and he went back there. At Yiwu train station, a middle age woman refused to move, I picked her up by the collar and moved her back, she was holding her case the whole time. Size does matter.

1- Nobody said anything, not one person waiting in line said a thing, not a word by the gate keeper or airlines check-in staffer, never in any of these occasions. I am not upset about it, it is what it is.

2- It is just absolutely amazing the other 99 people wait in line, all the lines. I wasn't like this just few years ago. You just wait and see, give it a few more years. everybody will be nice and polite, that happened in all the other Asian countries we have visited in the past decades, they don't even remember they were all mean and rude, in Taiwan, Korea, Hong Kong, etc... Now, suddenly as if someone turned on the light.

Edited: 3:34 am, November 04, 2013
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: beijing airport taxis

10/11/2013 - Be careful at the international airport, as the staff are working WITH the touts. My experience was the staff at the information desk, whilst they willingly wrote down the address of my hotel in Chinese for me, then tried very hard to sell me on the fact I should use a limo service to get to my hotel as the taxis would be so busy I would have to wait ages. They told me the fare was 700rmb, but I said no I would take a taxi. When I got in the line for the taxis, which whilst long, moves very quickly, the touts started pushing, and when I got to the front of the line, the airport security official who is there to guide people and keep things orderly, insisted I go with one of the touts who had been talking to me constantly. I regret to say I got scammed 500rmb for my taxi ride. It pays to research Tripadvisor, as the touts are everywhere in Beijing, and harass you constantly all day for everything you do. Especially watch out at any tourist attraction you visit. I would suggest research, and then check every trip you want to do with your hotel travel counter first with your research knowledge. I am not a wealthy tourist, so my lack of knowledge has cost me dearly, as I do not have much spending cash. But at least I know, and can advise others to research and be careful. At the airport, make sure the taxi is the official looking taxi with numbers and signwriting the same as all the others, not a van with a magnetic "taxi" sticker on the side. The other big scam here appears to be art. There are so many gifted artists here, it is amazing, but there are also a lot of art scams, so be warned. Especially watch out for the key phrases like "I am already recognised artist" or "I sign because my art valuable".

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: beijing airport taxis

Getting a real taxi at the airport is very simple. There seem to be a disproportionate number of people being tricked - or perhaps the overwhelming majority of people who are not tricked in any way don't write anything about their very ordinary and uneventful experience.