We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wangfujing to Qianmen

Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Topic
Wangfujing to Qianmen

Taking the subway from Wangfujing to Qianmen will take 16min, is it more advisable to get there via taxi?

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

You need walk for a long time to/from subway station. Taxi costs not much can drop you to wanted place.

Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

Ok thanks! Will just take a taxi.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

Taxi for this distance is a bit extravagant and unlikely to save time. You can always get the bus, 特11, which is a double decker, from the bottom of Wangfujing St.

Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

Hi Qupnicely! What do you mean by bottom of Wangfujing? And how will I know when to get off? Do you have any engish reference regarding bus routes?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

I mean the south end of Wangfujing St, near the subway station, opposite the big bookstore. You get off at Qianmen, when the automated announcement says that name and/or the electronic scroll screen says so. This is in Chinese and English. You can also badger the conductor to confirm. The stop at Qianmen is close to Dazhalan lane on the west side. Google map usually shows the stops. There's a link in the Top Questions about public transport.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

BTW it's only two stops!

Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

Thanks Qupnicely! If it is only 2 stops, then I guess I can manage :). Yup the google map shows the stops but I can't see the route where the bus will come from, I can only see the bus numbers but the name of the stop is in chinese characters and google maps has no translation.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

Just walk this fairly short distance, for Christ's sake. It's a pleasant walk through the Legation Quarter. At the south end of Wangfujing, cross to the other side of Chang'An Boulevard (use the pedestrian tunnel underground for safety). Pop up and walk a block west to tree-lined Zhengyi Road and turn left (south). Use the lovely path through the central linear park, and walk to the end which is Qianmen East Road. Turn right (west) and it's about 5 minutes' more to Qianmen, passing old foreign legation (embassy) buildings along the way. The entire walk should take you less than 20 minutes and is through an interesting part of Beijing, some of which dates from the Boxer Rebellion days. Beijing touring enrichment and it costs you minimal minutes over taking a vehicle (which won't go on this route)

BTW, I've noticed from some of your other posts that you seem to be afraid of walking in Beijing. Unless you have physical mobility problems, you should reconsider this fear. For some routes, it's better to walk.

Edited: 12:23 pm, March 20, 2013
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

Hi kvchina, its not that I am afraid to walk, I'm trying to get to one place the easiest or fastest way so I can fill in more attractions in a day. I have no problems walking from Wangfujing to Qianmen, but if you just came from a great wall trek for a day, you might have no more strenght to enjoy where you are heading next. I am just maximizing my time. :)

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wangfujing to Qianmen

When you sit in traffic in a vehicle, you will see that on some routes, walking (or biking) can actually be faster. Ditto for certain indirect subway routes that require line transfers. And keep in mind that on a bus, you'll be standing unless you're lucky enough to get a seat. You'll find out.

There is also a logic gap in your post #9 excuse. If you were doing an all-day GW trek, why would you be walking at the end of the day from Wangfujing to Qianmen? This makes no sense. If you needed an evening activity after the trek, it wouldn't be Wangfujing to Qianmen.

As for seeing more attractions in one day, that battle is really determined more by how you group the sights per day, less on the transport between them.

Edited: 2:05 pm, March 20, 2013