We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

Hi :)

Me and my boyfriend are going to Beijing for two weeks in June and I'm going to book hotel and just want to know which area in the city to stay at, that is central, has a shopping and dining area?

As well we want to travel outside Beijing for about 5 days, and do anyone have a tip on what to do? Really want to see Pandas, cultural areas and have an adventure.

As well recommend a goods shows to watch and which restaurants to eat at.

Thanks!

Marianne

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,713 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

Beijing is very big, and no place isclose to everything. What matters is to be close to a subway stop. The Dongchengt district will be considered more central. You cannot go to far in five days. Possibly Xi'an then something like Pingyao on the way back.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

Most tourists seem to end up at Wangfujing, which is central, has shopping and restaurants.

But it is true that things are spread out and that the most important thing is to be close to the subway. (The subway is needed because taxis can be hard to get and traffic can get very bad.)

So stick close to the subway and of course avoid staying far from downtown like the airport area and you'll be fine.

If you really want to see Pandas, then you could take your five days to fly to Chengdu and back. See the Pandas, visit the Leshan Buddha and Mt. Emei. Keep in mind that you will lose time for travel each way.

Beijing
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

You only mention the central, has not mentioned what's star or rate of hotel.

Here can be economical ones, Park Plaza wang fu jing, Inner Mongolian Grand Hotel

, Park Plaza my clients give me a good reference.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

The Dong Si Shi Tiao area is good too,

Such as Swissotel, for it is walking distance to Sanlitun Bar Street or different night clubs, you will be high there.

also it is walking distance to Dadong Roast Duck, Hutong,

30 second to the subway line 2, the less crowded line in down town Beijing.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,680 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

You didnt mention your budget so just wanted to suggest a budget option where i have stayed on three occassion so far which is the far eastern hotel. Its actually situated down a hutong and has loads of atmosphere. It was a 10-15 minute walk to the tianeman sqaure and about the same to the nearest metro. The rooms were pleasant and air conditioned, the staff spoke excellent english and were very helpful. The breakfast buffet was also very good. More westernized that chinese. There were loads of interesting eating options down the same street and plenty of souvenir shops. It was lively at night. It you want to see something traditional then try and get tickets for the chinese opera. Most hotels can book this for you. Its not everybodys taste but its certainly an experience.

have a great trip

angie

www.angietravels.com

Houston
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

Me and my wife had fun and enjoy world-class amenities at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing hotel. You may found them in the heart of bustling Wangfujing Street with perfect for discerning business and leisure travelers.

But aside from Hilton there are other good options hotel nearby.. see http://bls-asia.com/beijing/beijing-hotels/

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

you might see pandas in the beijing animal park.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
627 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

since you are from london, uk. i would suggest that you see the 2 pandas in scotland. the beijing zoo is quite run down ( by western standard).

you can check the "top questions about beijing" for hotels and sightseeing places.

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

Thank you so much for all the great tips :)

Have anyone been to the great wall as well, and what's the best way to get there? I read something about hiring a driver to drive you there?

As well as really want to see a ''Chinese- show'', anything recommended?

United States
Level Contributor
19 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for which area to stay in in Beijing

Marianne: I stayed at Swissotel for five days, cheaper and subway is in front of the hotel, easily covering entired Beijing attractions. I am currently stay in Pennisula hotel for walking distance to Tian.and FC, it works for us. 3 more days in Beijing....