We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchase May 1 Beijing->Shanghai train ticket in advance?

Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Topic
Purchase May 1 Beijing->Shanghai train ticket in advance?

Hello, my boyfriend and I will be traveling to China in May and would like to travel by train from Beijing to Shanghai on May 1st. Because of our schedule, we can really only take the 9:22pm sleeper train that night.

We don't arrive in Beijing until the night of April 30th, so we won't be able to purchase the tickets in Beijing much in advance. I know that May 1st is a holiday in China, so do you think the sleeper trains for that day will fill up quickly?

We will be in Hong Kong before Beijing (April 27-April 30), would we be able to purchase the Beijing-Shanghai tickets there?

I know that we can use an agency like chinatripadvisor.com to purchase our tickets, but I'm nervous about them getting our tickets to our hotel in Beijing since we'll only be there for 1 night before we have to leave.

Thanks!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,813 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchase May 1 Beijing->Shanghai train ticket in advance?

This a D train. Usually sleepers on those are only marginally popular due to cost (high by Chinese standards) so are available at last minute. However, since you are arriving at the start of a holiday, probably best to use an agent. It think you have a couple of choices:

1) Book through China DIY travel (do a search, their email is on other recent threads on this forum). They will book and send you a confirmation email, but you have to pick up tickets at station yourself with confirmation # and passport, at the special window for online pickups. Slightly more hassle for you but all you need to do is get to the station early to do the pickup, no worries about having to meet up with a courier in town.

2) Book through an agent that has a Beijing presence, and can either deliver the tickets to your hotel on the 30th for your pickup, or into your hands personally on the morning of the 1st. Or....has some sort of in-town office that will be open and to which you can go to pick up.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,769 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchase May 1 Beijing->Shanghai train ticket in advance?

Their website is china- diy-travel@gmail.com

If you want to save time, you can exchange the eTickets for physical tickets at any ticket counter in town, not just the train station.

3. Re: Purchase May 1 Beijing->Shanghai train ticket in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 09, 2014