We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Room for 3?....

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Room for 3?....

Hi all - I'm traveling with my family later in the season and am struggling to find a hotel that can accommodate us.

We're a group of 5. In one room we're fine with a queen/king bed, in the other room we'd like two queens. In the US this is pretty standard but I'm discovering that hotels abroad don't generally have as much space.

Does anyone have any experience with a hotel that accommodated 2 queen size beds in one room? Thanks in advance for the time.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,089 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

I think that even in a room with two beds they may not let you sleep five. Check serviced apartments like Lee Garden

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

Hey - sorry I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm not looking for a room to sleep 5 (I can't imagine how cramped that would be haha).

I'm looking to book 2 rooms: 1 room for 2 (which seems to be no problem); and 1 room for 3.

I'd like the room for 3 to have 2 queen beds in it - I've seem some hotels w/ a queen bed plus a twin size bed - but the people staying in it are on the taller side and I think they'd be very uncomfortable in that sized bed. Thanks for the answer though!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,089 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

Still check Lee Garden.

Beijing
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

A single twin bed is very easy to be added in the room, but to add a double bed

will request a large room, regular room size seems not enough space.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
627 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

US chain hotels (like Marriott) have more US style choices so that's an option. I struggled this with too as I travelled with two almost grown sons and most hotel choices were too small.

We ended up staying at Lee Service Apt. It was a good choice as I got a good price. Also I think Shatan Hotel has a triple room

MG

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll look into Lee Service Apt., or at least focus on the international chain hotels... I suppose worst case scenario I just get 3 rooms. Still, I find it pretty interesting that it's so uncommon out there.

Yorba Linda, Ca.
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

Hi...been reading about your situation with 3 people. We also are struggling with what to do. We searched orbitz and found that a room has a max of 3 people and has a picture that looks like a queen and a double.

My first impression was good that would work...but speaking to orbitz they are saying no! for 3 people there are more charges!

They charged me a extra person charge with 3 people stated on the reservation. I thought I'd be safe with that. Then I find out with other hotels that I not only need to pay for the extra person charge but also a rollaway bed which may be 50.00 plus USD per night extra on top of that!

Not even sure if paying for a rollaway I would get one if there are 2 larger beds in the room anyway! And it scares me that I need to pay everything at checkout! I have heard horrible stories of the Chinese

being tricky and overcharging on purpose and I wouldn't be able to speak Mandarin.

Would you just book all your hotels with a travel agency that you would prepay all the rooms and your booking would be listed as a triple vs. booking yourself on orbitz, hotel.com, etc even with their assistance with the extra person charge and additional bed charge and paying at checkout?

Edited: 10:39 am, February 16, 2014
Minneapolis
Level Contributor
308 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

We are traveling with 6 and I am not having any trouble at all finding rooms that fit 3 and 3. Where we are staying runs the gamut from small, cheap hutong hotels to the Four Seasons. Everywhere I am able to get 3 and 3. Maybe there are extra charges but they have been folded into the amount quoted me so I do not see them.

I think the challenge is that in the US we are accustomed to rooms that fit 3 or even 4. Such room types are actually quite uncommon in the rest of the world. I agree that you might have more luck with western chains such as Marriotts, Hiltons, etc. Good luck!

Yorba Linda, Ca.
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

thank you for your response. Can you give me an example? Are you staying in Beijing? Are you contacting the hotels directly or booking online with ie. Orbitz? One Xian hotel called Grand Noble can accomodate 3 but I still have to pay for an extra person charge and rollaway bed charge making it $413.00 for 1 room, 3 nights,3 adults, rollaway. Is this what you are finding? Are you booking it online and what website?

Thanks!

Yorba Linda, Ca.
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Room for 3?....

I've heard about a horrible story at a Hong Kong hotel where the traveler prepaid for their stay with 3 people

in the room. Upon arrival, the hotel charged them an extra daily bed fee of 80 USD and breakfast fee which they thought they were getting for all people in the room.

You're at their mercy