We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

first can I say thank for all the help you have provided so far. We're now struggling to decide on a itinerary for our 17 day Easter trip. We will spend half our time in Beijing with friends, and have already decided on a trip to Xi'an for 4 nights or so. What we are really struggling with is what other trip to do. We had wanted to go to Yangshuo for a few days as we thought it would be a great counterpoint to the cities, and we could do some outdoor activities like kayaking with our kids (5, 8). However we're now wondering if a) getting there will be too expensive, and b) if there are other relaxing outdoorsy places closer to Beijing that might make more sense. Does anyone have any advice or been to somewhere that their kids really enjoyed? I think they will have temple/culture overload from Beijing and Xi'an. Many thanks again

1. Re: help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:02 am, March 03, 2014
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

I do wish these self-promoters would at least pay some attention to the questions before plugging their sites.

Going to Yangshuo from Beijing or Xian and back to Beijing after will probably cost somewhere around £100 each for each journey so it is not a cheap getaway. The other consideration, given the children's ages, is that your travel would basically eat up a day each way. So I think you're wise to be putting out feelers for alternatives. Have a look at: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294212-s401/Beijing:… and perhaps www.tripadvisor.com/Search… and cityweekend.com.cn/beijing/… as examples of what may be nearer.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

1. You visit the Beijing Botanic Garden ,seeing spring scene that grass came out from the ground .

2. You visit the Baiwangshan forest park, climbing mountains along the road and breathing the fresh air.

3. You visit the Yuyuantan park,enjoying Cherry Blossom.(March 31th-April 7th)

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

you can visit Capital Museum and the City planning Meseum .

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

We went in the summer of 2011 with our kids who were 10 and 7 at the time. We did go to Yangshao -- and it was a lot of fun -- definitely felt more like a vacation than the rest of the trip (which was amazing, but not restful).

We also made a stop at the Shaolin temple, between Xi'an and Beijing -- I thought it was a bit of a tourist trap, but my kids adored it. The overnight train from Louyang to Beijing was one of the highlights of the trip for us -- the boys adored the sleeper car.

other thoughts -- water towns near Shanghai? Chengdu?

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

Shidu and Longqing Gorge can both be done as daytrips from Beijing. It may be what you are looking for.

So that you won't suffer from a temple overload, I suggest you visit the modern places in Beijing like Sanlitun, Galaxy Soho and The Place.

7. Re: help with child friendly itinerary outside Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 01, 2014