We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

crowds in the streets?

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
crowds in the streets?

how crowded actually is beijing. we will be staying in the legendale hotel but will have about 3 days at leisure. is it really really crowded and also do we need smog masks? if so are they easy to come by?thanks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,293 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: crowds in the streets?

Yes it is busy as Beijing has a high density but it's not like it is hard to walk around. Obviously it is more crowded around commercial and very touristy areas.

Wearing a mask is up to you. I have been living there for a few years and never wore one. It is pretty rare to see one on the street actually. Unless it is super bad or there is a sand storm.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: crowds in the streets?

thank you much appreciated..

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: crowds in the streets?

Hard to measure for people from different living backgrounds. I think Chinese cities won't look so pieceful for people from europe, but can be very general for those from south and east Asia. Pollution is not a problem in autumn.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: crowds in the streets?

There are people everywhere but not unlike London or New York City

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: crowds in the streets?

To be honest, I rather walk in Beijing then in New York.

Both are crowded, but in NY people are rude and do not take any consideration to others.

Beijing
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: crowds in the streets?

Sub way can be crowded as sardine Fish.

Beijing
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: crowds in the streets?

Spring Festival Time is much less people here, for more than 9 million people went back to their hometown, in this way, we call now it is Beijing,

when people come back from all over after the holiday , we call it is Capital.

Today is very sunny with blue sky.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,089 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: crowds in the streets?

I find Beijing busy in a nice way.

It is safe, i find the local chinese people friendly and helpful and easy to get around.

It seems the people I have seen and visit there not so many local people wear masks as one would expect but that is a personal cholice and remember they are use to it.

The subway is good and easy to follow. BUT busy busy busy.

A couple of tips for you

Never drink tap water buy bottled water.

buy several packets of paper tissues as many places do not provide napkins or paper for the toilet. tr and usethe shiopping malls and hote toilers.

Change money in China as you get a better rate. Take a small amount to start with say 750rmkb. use your credit card and bank card at the ATMs.

have a card with the name and address of the hotel written in Chinese characters it is good for he taxi driver./ keep it on you all the time. have one for each person in your group incase you get separated.

Good luck.

Edited: 3:51 pm, February 10, 2013
israel
Level Contributor
7 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: crowds in the streets?

Beijing is busy but like any major city. I never wear smog masks- i dont think it is necessary for tourists. Might be worse if you breath the air all the time.

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
651 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: crowds in the streets?

thank you all so much, youve given me some very useful info