We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jade Factory

Wenatchee, WA
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jade Factory

We are going on a tour of China in a few weeks. In Beijing we will be stopping at a jade factory. My question is it appropriate to haggle over prices at the factory? Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jade Factory

Do NOT buy anything from the "factory" tours because everything they sell are not only 5-10x the street price but what's worse, they're actually worth nothing.

There's no use haggling because even if you get a 50% discount, you're still buying something extremely overpriced.

There are many threads here discussing these factory tours, have a good read.

Beijing
Level Contributor
155 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jade Factory

This is one disputed topic,

Many small stores even called them selves Jade Factory.

Jade indeed is one representative jewelry or art from here with long history , almost all the big Chinese style shopping malls in Beijing sell Jade,

for the real one with quality, it is not cheap at all, when you have a check you will find out easily, rate to be more than 100 US to 1000 US or more.

what is the reason people talked negatively sometimes about it, I would like to share some my personal views, but never please understand that it is arguing.

1, Some travel agencies or operators they sell the tour products with much lower rate to attract customers, in fact, the bill customer paid can not make up the cost of the total car using, driver, ticket and tour guide service, then the tour guide will carry all the burden to show the so called Jade Factory or the one who can give better kick back place, then to recommend the expensive ones for tourists to buy in order to make a living, some tourists may feel the tour guide pushed too much about it, even expressed no interest, but to be asked again and again, if without purchasing, a pulled long face guide can be there. This kind of tour, when operator sells the tour, they usually do not mention the Jade Factory in the tour schedule brochure, or never tell the name of Jade Factory. For sure, we had black sheep in the tour service family set terrible example or gave tourists bad experience, making a interesting place become suffering.

2, For formal jade factory organized in the tour schedule by the popular travel service , usually it is huge place, people can see the real workers carving Jade there, tourists can get much information about jade culture, material, symbol or how to tell jade from marble or glass in the market basically .... no one should push or talk too much about purchasing, just depend on the will of the tourists, the Jade Art's Jewelry rate is from 120 RMB to million RMB with very various choices. It is usually a place to have lunch for large group tour.

3, After purchasing, some tourists may find out a similar one but cheaper in the market with the same green color, feel kicked in the stone, but same green can not be real jade.

4, Now some agencies here have two kinds of tours, one tour with shopping,

the other one is without any stop for shopping(usually higher rate)

5, Because of this issue or worry, free lance tour guide is becoming popular, with the promotion words, " never show touristy place"

6, It is a story happening many countries, it is changing but slowly.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,804 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jade Factory

Don't buy. It will be too expensive and it will not be good jade or not even jade at all. A real good quality simple jade bracelet in a legit store will cost $5,000 to $10,000. So what do you think you are getting for $20? And it won't be a factory as such, just a tourist trap.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,828 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jade Factory

If you don't know what you are doing, don't buy jade anywhere unless you're prepared to overpay for fake or poor quality goods.

The best way to deal with this is not to even show up at the Jade Factory. Must you take this particular day's tour? If you must, take a book or an ipad for entertainment while you wait for fellow groupies, and stay outside.

Edited: 4:16 pm, February 04, 2013
Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
180 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jade Factory

So i rather buy it at the silk market? Or which market are you talking about? And what would be a reasonable price for a mala prayer beads if that would be available....or maybe just a bracelet...and a little broach...that would be nice.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,804 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jade Factory

Yes, just buy at a market like Ya Xiu or the Silk market. Do not pay much as it is junk in any case. Never bought this but I figure maybe 50RMB max.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jade Factory

Yes China is famous for jade but it won't matter if you can't differentiate a good one from a bad one (which basically covers 99.9% of tourists).

Usually common sense will tell you that price will reflect the quality of the product but this does not apply to the so-called factories.

So as recommended above, don't pay more than 50RMB for any kind of jade.

Wenatchee, WA
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jade Factory

Thank you for all the responses. We are stopping at the factory en-route to the Great Wall, so no opting out. I will enjoy the presentation at the factory even if I don't buy anything. I own a beautiful jade ring already that is a family heirloom left to me by my mother in law. Thanks again everyone.

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jade Factory

Do not visit the jade factory unless u want to buy something , the price killing you. U can bargain as low as 95% discount tea factory and silk factory the price all terrible. just back from Beijing 1st may 2013.

Edited: 6:40 am, May 02, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Jade Factory

Do not visit the jade factory unless u want to buy something , the price killing you. U can bargain as low as 95% discount just back from Beijing 1st may 2013.