We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Visa rules

Boroughbridge
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
China Visa rules

I wanted to keep my China tour fairly flexible but it seems I need to list all the hotels I shall stay in for my visa. Is there any way round this? I prefer to plan my tour step by step whilst I am actually in China

Mentioned in this post
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,211 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Visa rules

Hi,

I inquired (through an agent) in London recently and was told booking a hotel room for the first 2 or 3 nights should suffice.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Visa rules

Ajarn is right: Book your hotels, show them the bookings and then cancel the rooms. Once in China no one cares where you stay and you can move around freely (except Tibet).

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China Visa rules

yes, book the hotels first and then cancle them later.

But notice don't write “Tibet” as one of your destinations and hotels in Tibet on your Chinese visa application, otherwise they will refuse to get your China visa.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China Visa rules

At the moment they are not that strict anymore with the hotel confirmations. So you can basically make up any schedule you want and change it later. As long as your hotels match the schedule you make up for the application it is OK.

If you fly in and out from the same city just make up a schedule for that city and book only one hotel that you cancel later. I travel around a lot, but never list all the places I go to.

Bradford, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China Visa rules

The Visa website for China says you have to provide confirmation of round trip flights. Does flying into Beijing and out of Hong Kong count as a round trip?

Also my trip is expected to be 35 days and i want to go from mainland China to Hong Kong on the 30th day by ferry but won't be booking that until i am there. Do you think this will be acceptable to the Chinese authorities?

I also have the same hotels problem as Martin. I don't think i have the time to book all my accomodation in advance for 35 days and it defeats the point of independent travel really. So any advice greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: China Visa rules

Normal visa only allow you to stay for 30 days. When you apply for a visa you need "proof" that you will leave the country within that period. Not booking the boat, means you have an open end on your stay.

The HK flight is after 35 days, so that does not count. I think the only thing you can do is book an hotel in HK up front, and explain that this will indicate you will leave the mainland in time. But I do not know if that will be accepted.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,044 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: China Visa rules

Not sure about BePu's response. I never had a visa for less than 90 days. Especially if you have a 35-day trip, they will give you at least 60 days.

Flying out of HK is fine. As said above. Book "something", print the confirmation then cancel it. You do not have to actually follow the itinerary. Once you have your visa nobody cares.

8. Re: China Visa rules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 25, 2014