We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet, What is banned in China

Mooloolaba...
Level Contributor
36 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Internet, What is banned in China

Ok guys, I'm bringing my laptop with me to Beijing, one thing I'd like to do is access Facebook, Gmail etc etc. Are one or both of these banned in China??? Even if banned is there any way around it???

Also do I need to take any particular security steps before I come to China regarding my laptop.

Many thanks for your assistance. Craig

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet, What is banned in China

Social media like facebook and twitter are blocked.

Sometimes google has hick-ups, because they filter the words in the searches for "forbidden" words. But google and gmail are not completely blocked.

Some Beijing hotels are more strict with regulations then others. Some actively block the standard VPN methods. Because Beijing is the political center the government tries to control public internet access more.

But apart from the social media sites, it is not too bad.

My laptop never has been inspected when entering. I doubt if they ever will do that. As long as you do not bring political sensitive media, no problems.

Keep in mind that internet access in hotels is public access. So you never know who is tapping your data. So only use secure connections for sensitive stuff like banking. This applies basically for all hotels over the world.

Mentioned in this post
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
54 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet, What is banned in China

Youtube is blocked ..

VPN works depending on which provider ......the ones you have to pay for work mostly better as they always update their systems/protocols (or how you call these things?!?!?!)

I never experienced any issues even during the National Party Congres

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet, What is banned in China

Actually I found that some five-star hotels seemed to have their own VPN as sometimes I could access everything. But if Facebook is so important to you then you'd better install a VPN before you leave.

4. Re: Internet, What is banned in China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 13, 2014