We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Topic
Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

It is on several online newspapers that starting from Dec 31, 2013, train passengers are able to buy tickets online and via the phone up to 20 days ahead of their preferred departure time.

The new rules give passengers 8 extra days to book the tickets. Previously, passengers were only able to book tickets 12 days in advance.

Even though train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead, Spring festival holiday could be the worst time to travel in China thinking that it's the busiest travel period with the large numbers of travelers.

Check out the posts for more info: wildgreatwall.com/good-news-train-tickets-ca…

chinadaily.com.cn/china/…content_16082356.htm

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,276 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

Thanks Rick, we have discussed this here already. However, I am not sure that this is good news for tourists. Travelers usually only arrive in China only 3-4 days prior to their train trip. This gives more time for locals to buy tickets meaning that there might be fewer tickets left by the time the tourist arrives in China. The one good aspect, i assume, is that if you get someone to buy the tickets for you and it is not possible to get the tickets that you want, then it gives you more time to work on a plan B which is presumably to fly.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

@JP, It seems like I've missed something. yes, this is good news for locals but not bad news for tourist.

Los Angeles
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

I was wondering why Travel China Guide was able to get my train tickets for 1/29 so fast this week.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,276 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

As we approach Chinese new year it will get more and more difficult. If you use an agent, they have to be online in the first hour to buy the tickets. I was reading that during the holidays last year, tickets from Beijing to Urumqi were all sold within 30 seconds.

California
Level Contributor
56 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

Is the online purchase still restricted to credit cards issued by a Chinese bank? If we can use a US credit card, then I would try to buy our tickets before we leave the US, or figure out a plan B if we can't get the tickets we want.

Waterford Works...
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

Yes, online purchase is still restricted to credit cards issued by a Chinese bank. Now the tickets have already been hard to buy for the Chinese New Year is coming.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

Can't agree with Jeffersonph any more, it's getting harder to buy now for the holiday is coming.

8. Re: Good news, train tickets can be booked online 20 days ahead!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 19, 2014