We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrageous car/tour scam - need help pls for new car/guide

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Outrageous car/tour scam - need help pls for new car/guide

We had a quote from a tour guide/driver for a van for the day at 600rmb and booked it for late January, months ago. I found her details off the internet - Lulu greatwalltour2008@163.com.

The understanding was that we would go to the great wall and other places of our choice. We had emailed back and forth and it was clear that we would choose other places to go to when we decided.

Now she emails and says we will be taken to the great wall and also 2 factories - Jintai Blue factory and silk factory. I emailed back to say we did not want to go to factories, only great wall, Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square. She emailed back to say that if we did not go to the factories, it will be now 1000RMB. This is 400rmb more than our standing agreement of the past few months.

This is outrageous, dishonest and a shameful reneging of an agreement. If she is a legitimate tour guide and there is a regulation body, I would like to report her for such disgraceful behaviour. I have just cancelled the booking and am now looking for a driver of a van and tour guide for the day in 2 wks time.

Can anyone recommend an HONEST tour/taxi van driver please for a good price?

Thanks.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,038 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Outrageous car/tour scam - need help pls for new car/guide

>>It is still not ruining your tour or bringing you lost of finance, just wasted your time.<<

beijingburton, that's the wrong attitude IMO. When a tourist has paid a great deal of money to travel to a country and then to a tour guide, and has a limited amount of time to spend in a destination, wasting their time with unwanted factory visits does in effect bring loss of finance. And while it may not "ruin" a tour, it makes it an unpleasant one and leaves the tourist with regrets that their precious short time was not used seeing the sights they wanted to see.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
131 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Outrageous car/tour scam - need help pls for new car/guide

Thank a for this post I was going to e mail her today however I'm not going to use her

Thanks so much to tile of this post should of have her name LUlu greatwalltour2008@163.com in big so many people can see it easier

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Outrageous car/tour scam - need help pls for new car/guide

Good that TA has helped another tourist avoid a potential scam.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,202 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Outrageous car/tour scam - need help pls for new car/guide

Just find another car and move on. It is a waste of time to invest any additional emotional toll. Not a big deal with no loss of money, nothing shocking and can happen in any countries. You are lucky or skillful in discovering it early enough.

We paid 450RMB for a hired car to GW 1.5 years ago, they say it is about 600 RMB now, we found the driver through Jean's TA suggestion, excellent experience. Prices are all over the paces, 1000RMB is not a scam, some pay even more. You can't win them all.

A trivia matter for any travel planning, just move on.

15. Re: Outrageous car/tour scam - need help pls for new car/guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 16, 2014