We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

Long Island, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

I'll be in Beijing the last week of August 2006. I'll be sightseeing with my 11 yr old daughter. Is it safe for us? What about the cabs and pedicabs? Of course we want to go to all the touristic areas. There is so much to see. Do restaurants have some menus in english or with pictures? Any recommendation? What area of the great wall to see , Badaling??, Mutianyu?? Is there any other way down Mutianyu than a slide? How fast does it go?? What are the"must see" attractions?

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

Safety: In terms of crime, Beijing is very safe for a big city. Usual common sense (e.g. not going down back alleys alone at night) is enough.

I do recommend wearing seatbelts in taxis, even though locals usually do not, as accidents can happen. Pedicabs basically only give tours in the hutong area around the back lakes (Qianhai, Houhai).

I prefer the Great Wall at Simatai, but it is further from the city than Mutianyu. I wouldn't recommend Badaling, as it is the most touristy and crowded.

Larger restaurants in touristy areas will sometimes have menus with English and/or pictures, but not always. You may need to try more than one place. You can also use a phrase book to order, since restaurants will be able to make most of the typical dishes.

The main attractions in Beijing are Tiananmen square, the Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven, the Summer Palace, Yonghegong, and the hutongs and the back lakes.

Essex, UK.
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

You can book day tours by mini bus, with an English-speaking guide, to the main attractions previously mentioned, from your hotel. I booked both Grayline and Panda Tours by internet. They are a bit rushed, but it is the easiest way to see all of the main attractions. They pick you up and drop you off at your hotel. One of the tours includes Badaling. It is true that it is over-run with tourists, but it involves less travelling than the other Great Wall sites. You should expect the weather to be uncomfortably hot and humid in August..... You daughter might prefer McDonald's, or a pizza restaurant!!!

Shanghai
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

First thing, you will be safer in anywhere in China than you are in your home town. The penalties for crime in China are severe and definitely enforced swiftly.

I have seen a bag snatcher beat up by passersbye who came immediately to the foreigners aid.

Same old story don't put yourself at risk with too much flashy jewellry and avoid walking down quiet streets alone late at night

If your already concerned, the organised tour is the may to go, there must be 50 long postings weighing up the best Great Wall site, go back 20 pages and you must find a few.

There are 3 different ways up and down,Mutianyu, my 75 year old mother used the cable car, so I think you will be OK

4. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, May 26, 2006
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

I agree with other posters here that you will feel safe in Beijing. As a woman myself I went all over on my own, and never had any trouble. As a Westerner local people know to leave you alone - it is still a communist country after all and the penalties on crime is harsh.

This includes taxi's - I used them all the time, and absolutly no probelms, even late at night on my own. I think its wise to take precautions such as locking up valueables and not being too showy, but that is also due in part to the fact that we are so wealthy by comparision. What we spend on one bottle of wine, is someone esle weeks wages.

I would advise you to get a copy of a book called "Point It", its a great book full of pictures of things you might want, such as the toilet, a bottle of water, etc... and you can use it anywhere in the world when you dont speak the language. If you cannot get a copy, why not make one yourself with your daughter?

Take out travel insurance, keep photocopies of all your documentation including your passport somewhere separate. Take with you the leaflet/business card of your hotel with you, and a guide book when you go out, and you will have a great time!

Long Island, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

Thanks for your interesting reply. Do you have any tips for main attractions, restaurants, tour companies,etc. in Beijing?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
613 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

arethousa- where did you find the point it book? I am searching book sites, but I have been unable to find it so far. lynclarke

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

Hiya,

I think it was designed originally by a graphic artist, your listing says you are in New York - I would telephone the Museum of Modern Art, Im sure they would have them - link below

I think you can buy it at:

momastore.org/webapp/…

Amazon only has second hand versions listed on its US site at:

amazon.com/gp/…

OR

Failing thatm Amazon has a similar one for sale here:

amazon.com/gp/…

Hope that helps!

West Midlands...
Level Contributor
13 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

Opps, sorry Lynn I got a tad confused, the UK Amazon has the book for sale also at:

amazon.co.uk/gp/…

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
613 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe for Mother/daughter trip?

arethousa- FOUND IT!! It is available at amazon.com. Thanks for pointing me to this book. lynclarke