We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tax free liquids

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lahti, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tax free liquids

Dear,

This December I'm gonna take flight from Amsterdam to Hanoi (vietnam) via Beijing Capital airport (PEK).I am going to buy some bottles of spirit in Schiphol airport. I am wondering if my sealed tax free products will be confiscated in Beijing airport? I just stay in transit area cause I do not have Chinese visa. Transit time 5hours.

Thanks a lot :D

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tax free liquids

If you are on a connecting flight and in transit then there is no problem.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tax free liquids

It wont get confiscated because you are only in Transit and not actually going through into China and even if it you did go into China I think you aloud 1500ml of alcohol

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,758 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tax free liquids

Are your two flights in the same terminal? If not then you need to pass security (x-ray machines) and some airports (not sure about Beijing) will not allow liquids even in sealed duty-free bags. So the OP question is not about the limit of alcohol but about whether you can take these through security.

Unfortunately I have no idea about this and I could not find the answer on the airport website.

Lahti, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tax free liquids

actually I could not access to the website of Beijing airport so cannot find any information.

My flight from Ams to PEK is operated by KLM. and Beijing to Hanoi by Vietnam Airlines. I do not know will it be in the same terminal or not? Anyone know?

One more question, should I buy spirit and wine in tax free zone of Beijing? how about quality and price?

Thank you guys a lot :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,758 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tax free liquids

They are both in terminal 2. When doing an international transfer in terminal 2 I don't know if you pass a security check-point.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,712 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tax free liquids

You have to go through security check when transiting in Terminal 2 for international flights.

Typical of official Chinese rules in English, rules on liquid are not entirely clear. Beijing Capital airport official website:

en.bcia.com.cn/server/notice/safe.shtml

III. Provisions of Liquid Items

i.International & Regional Flights

2. Goods purchased on the flights or in Duty-free shops at the airport should be packed in sealed transparent plastic bags. The bags should not be opened by the passengers. Shopping receipts need to be kept for inspection.

2. 在候机楼免税店或机上所购物品应盛放在封口的透明塑料袋中,且不得自行拆封。旅客应保留购物凭证以备查验。

--------

"at the airport" = only at Beijing airport? at ANY airport?

Edited: 12:50 pm, December 03, 2012
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tax free liquids

I am assuming you are talking about Alcohol with your comment "I am going to buy some bottles of spirit in Schiphol airport" again it wont get confiscated

I love the variety of spirits in Beijing and heaps cheaper then Australia I always like to try something new something I cant get in my own country

Lahti, Finland
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tax free liquids

Thanks a lot for all your comments

#6: I do not know why I can't access to the link you gave in my country ( I'm in Finland). I want to find an email address from someone who works at airport to ask for more info also but couldn't

#7: yes, i'm mentioning about Chivas 12 years and 18 years. Have you ever transferred in Beijing airport terminal 2? Do we have to go to security check again when transferring. Actually I am wondering a bit about the quality of product so I prefer to buy it in Schiphol :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,758 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tax free liquids

I assume Chivas is all made in one place and will be the same all over the world.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tax free liquids

When I landed in Beijing T2 I had to go through the normal security checks including immigration and again when I flew out from T2 again I went through the normal security check but obviously I didn't have to go through immigration

yea you not going to lack quality just because its from Beijing myself I purchase a bottle of Hennessy Cognac it just looks better on my shelf