We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hangzhou and Tongli

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
portlandman
Level Contributor
118 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hangzhou and Tongli

Hi:

Hoping for some quick advice on the last bit of our itnerary for an upcoming trip.

After leaving Xi'an, we have four nights and three days before leaving from Shanghai.

My questions:

-- Any strong opinions on Hangzhou vs. Suzhou-Tongli?

-- Would it be realistic to fly from Xi'an to Hangzhou, spend night and next full day sightseeing before heading back to Shanghai that night by train? Then spend one of last two days in Shanghai as a day trip to Suzhou-Tongli?

We would be spending one full day in Xi'an and then fly to Shanghai or Hangzhou the afternoon of the second day.

I'm just trying to get a sense of the best way to use our time for the four nights and three days we have after leaving Xi'an.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,119 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hangzhou and Tongli

It depends what you are looking for.

Hangzhou is a nice town to relax in the summer. But not very special.

For water towns you can go to Shuzhou or Tongli. I do not know the last. Xitang is also an option. Shuzhou is just a short train ride away from Shanghai. Xitang you have to do by bus. 1,5 hours if I remember well.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hangzhou and Tongli

In my opinion, you can visit Shanghai and Xitang .

The two places will cost four nights and three days.

Xi'an-Shanghai : Two full days is plenty in Shanghai.

Shanghai-Xitang (south of station-Jiashan-Xitang):it cost 2 hours.

Xitang-Shanghai

Shanghai-your country

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,059 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hangzhou and Tongli

I find that Hangzhou is nothing special, better visit Suzhou and Tongli. Better to spend one night there.

South Pole
Level Contributor
243 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hangzhou and Tongli

Agree with the comments on Hangzhou being nothing special. We had heard the references to Heavenly Lake (etc) but once in China found that things were described as Heavenly (or best under Heaven) as frequently as Italians use the word Bella.

Suzhou (city) was interesting for visiting the formal gardens - very picturesque. The main museum was OK and we also found a few nice places to eat.

Tongli is a quaint little water town. We took a bus to there from Suzhou city.and then stayed a couple of nights. Much nicer at night when it is quiet. dining beside the canals is relaxing. We hadn't booked accommodation but found one of the local houses who would rent a room. I seem to remember we had a ticket to visit each of the main sites in town. Also, you have to pay to enter the town (before crossing the main bridge) but the booths closed around 5pm? - so if you arrive late you may get in for free. From there we took a bus to Shanghai.

Hangzhou, China
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hangzhou and Tongli

Hello,

It is possible for you to fly Xian to Hangzhou. It will take about 2 hours. And next day do one day tour in Hangzhou. Hangzhou is a very nice city. The scenery in West Lake is wonferdul.

Then take a train to Shanghai, quite convenient.

Then day tour to Suzhou and Tongli. Suzhou is famous for its gardens and Tongli is a water town. You will enjoy yourself I think.

Then one day in Shanghai.

Thanks.

6. Re: Hangzhou and Tongli

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 16, 2013