We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Instagram

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Topic
Instagram

I see a lof of questions about Facebook, Gmail, Skype, etc etc...but does anyone know if Instagram works in China?

Thanks all

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Instagram

Facebook and Twitter are not availabled.

Gmail and Skype are availabled.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Instagram

Interesting. My gmail hasn't been working since I got here

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Instagram

Try https://www.gmail.com

www.skype.com is being directed to tomtom.skype.com in China from where you only can download the "harmonious" Skype - i.e. the one with a backdoor to Chinese authorities.

Tulsa, Oklahoma...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Instagram

instagram is working fine for us here in Beijing

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Instagram

Now that makes sense...

"Google Inc. said several of its online services have been blocked in China.

Traffic to Google’s services in China dropped sharply beginning Friday evening there, according to an online “Transparency Report” website operated by Google, which provides updates about access to its services in different parts of the world. (...) The disruptions come as China’s once-in-a-decade meeting to appoint new leadership gets underway."

theglobeandmail.com/technology/…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
243 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Instagram

Based on input by users on TA, I set up a VPN through VPN Express, which was a super-inexpensive option from the iTunes app store. I was able to post things to Facebook and access gmail with no problem. I did not need the VPN for gmail. It only cost me .99 cents for 2GB of data while I was there. I realize this post is about Instagram, just wanted to share how cheap and easy it is to set up a VPN so you have open access to things while you are there!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,725 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Instagram

Assuming that Instagram is blocked (I have no idea as I am out of China currently and do not use Instagram in any case), then the VPN would be a good solution.

BC
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Instagram

Ben P: My gmail account worked just fine when in Beijing in July. However, almost nothing else worked for me on my computer.....including Trip Advisor and checking the weather forecast. It was very frustrating.

However, all google services, including gmail have now been affected by the crackdown due to the current leadership conference. It has been a big item on the news here. Along with not allowing taxis to have the windows open......

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Instagram

More sites than usual have been blocked during the leadership hand over. Google was definitely affected, but even before that has always been iffy.

Gmail etc. should be working(ish) again now that the handover is finished. You may just need several attempts to log in, but you will get there eventually.

Not sure about Insagram specifically though.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Instagram

Ooops pumpermum - I just repeated your post more or less!