We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
630 posts
89 reviews
3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

I'm considering ordering one of the prepaid SIM's from http://www.3gsolutions.com.cn/page/simcard but have no idea how legit they are.

Has anyone used this service?

I know there is a big (%) premium on this, over getting the SIM on my own, but in actual dollars, it isn't that big.

Am I over-estimating the hassle for a non-Mandarin speaking foreigner in setting up service with C. Unicom?

290 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
201. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

After reading reviews we bought a SIM card through 3g solutions. They delivered the SIM cardto the hotel and directions were easy to follow.

Service was adequate for our needs, and the VPN is essential for using many of the sites we are used to using.

Most likely could have purchased a SIM card elsewhere for much less money, but for overall ease and convenience would recommend 3gsolutions.

Also had a few issues as my original hotel had changed, but 3gsolutions staff were attentive and responsive via email. Would recommend this company.

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
202. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

The pocket Wi-Fi could not not be any easier.

We picked it up at our hotel and put it in the prepaid envelope and dropped it off at the front desk at checkout.

We had a party of four and we all used to simultaneously with no problem.

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
1 review
203. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

Got the simcard at my hotel, had trouble setting up vpn at first but staff was very helpful. eventually vpn was succesfull. good service!

Cologne, Germany
1 post
204. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

I'm just back from China, where I used the services from 3gsolutions. (Rented a WIFI router + Power bank + VPN)

The second time in the last two years by the way.

Everything worked fine. I ordered it from home before I flew to china and they delivered it to my hotel. It was working perfectly, and from all my collegues I was the only one who had a good internet connection (especially with the vpn option :-))

The second time I had to postpone my journey, because I was ill. It was no problem at all, the service via email in english language was fast and helpful.

***** Five stars from me

Sonia

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
205. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

My wife & I just returned from beijing. We hired a prepaid modem from 3gsolutions. It was easy and we had a portable wifi hotspot that worked really well in all locations including Great Wall hiking areas.

It was waiting at our hotel in Beijing on arrival and the supplied prepaid return satchel made it super easy to leave with the hotel to send back on our way out. We had the device for 10 days and it didn’t let us down. We had our own battery pack and VPN but 3gsolutions offer this as well.

I recommend this service. It was easy. it worked. I didn’t waste any time over communication issues while travelling.

Kuala Belait...
1 post
206. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

I ordered a twin package sim card + VPN before I leave to china. Got it at the hotel during our check-in. Wechat 3gsolutions service staff is very helpful when I have problem with my VPN set up.

Everything works great.

Definitely will choose 3gsolutions again for my next trip.

Bandar Seri...
1 post
2 reviews
207. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

Its my 1st time to Shanghai for holidays with my family and as i know and heard from friends,CHINA has BANNED a lot of websites and the one that normally use to connect with friends and families is Whats app. 3gsolutions solved my problem.Ive ordered my WIFI and VPN before coming to Shanghai and once i check in to my hotel i ask the concierge if they received any mail from Express with the number said and yes.Thats it.Just follow the instructions on how to connect the WIFI and VPN settings.As for returning the WIFI just drop it off at the hotel concierge with your name and room # and they will help you mail it out for you.Will definitely book my WIFI from you again when I'm there for holiday..Thank you

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
70 reviews
208. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

This is absolutely amazing! Highly recommend. This arrived exactly as described, on time. It worked great. I would definitely recommend their service.

P K
1 post
209. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

I asked them a few questions on live chat before I ordered my SIM card with VPN for Shanghai. VPN did not work at first which was a problem because I could not get hold of 3gsolns as a lot of apps did not work in China. I had to we chat my problem & got it working. VPN is a must especially when you need to use google map to get around.

1 post
2 reviews
210. Re: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?

Perfect, used them twice now, both times had the SIM delivered to the hotel and everything was great. My only wish is that they would let me keep the same number each time I get a new SIM from them. I'd be happy to pay a nominal amount to reserve the number for say 6 or 12 months, but at the moment the cost to do that seemed high. Other than that, they're a good company and the process worked very well for me.

Reply to: 3gsolutions - Pre-paid SIM service. Any reviews, thoughts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted