We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Beijing Flat or Hilly - Please help!!

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is Beijing Flat or Hilly - Please help!!

I am hoping to visit Shanghai and Beijing and Wuxi from next thursday, but I have had a small accident and my walking is limited.

I can walk, but prefer flats rather than hills.

Can someone advise if I will be OK, your answers will determine if I go (no pressure)!!!!!

Los Angeles
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Beijing Flat or Hilly - Please help!!

It's essentially flat here. I just bought a bicycle to get around for the month. It has one gear and is nothing fancy (like what most of the locals are riding) and I'm having no problems at all. I think you should be OK walking if you're catching all the major sights. Cabs are really cheap (relative to western standards) so just in case walking becomes an issue, that's a great option. Good luck and have fun!

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Beijing Flat or Hilly - Please help!!

Beijing itself is quite flat. Some of the tourist sites like the Summer Palace have hills, but you won't miss much if you don't climb them.

Beijing is surrounded by hills, but you only need to visit those to see the Great Wall. There are cable cars, so you could avoid walking too much.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Beijing Flat or Hilly - Please help!!

Beijing (and also Shanghai and Wuxi) is rather flat, but distances are quite long if you plan to walk extensively. Personally I prefer to walk in Shanghai rather than in Beijing!

Be careful of vehicles everywhere, traffic rules aren't usually followed, and since you've just had an accident you'd want to be extra careful.

Belgium
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Beijing Flat or Hilly - Please help!!

Yes, Beijing is flat.

But take into consideration that most places of interest for tourists have plenty of steps. The halls of palaces and temples are usually built on an elevated platform, which means you have to go up some steps to visit them and then down again. In a place like the Forbidden City this adds up.