We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing - expensive?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing - expensive?

Hi Beijing people,

We are looking at visiting Beijing for 5 days in September.

We have heard that Beijing is expensive - is this correct?

We live in London and are used to European prices when travelling.

We have stayed in Ibis hotels before and thought that the price for these hotels in Beijing is acceptable - £39 (390 CNY) per night - is that an ok price in Beijing?

We'd use public transport, with perhaps the exception of a guide/driver to the Wall.

I've also read a beers is anything from £5 (5 CNY) upwards - is food affordable?

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Eclat Beijing
Hotel Eclat Beijing
#5 of 6,652 hotels in Beijing
Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing
Shangri-La Hotel, Beijing
#3 of 6,652 hotels in Beijing
Kerry Hotel Beijing
Kerry Hotel Beijing
#6 of 6,652 hotels in Beijing
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beijing - expensive?

Haha....

Don't worry, London stays one of the more expensive places around the world while Beijing isn't on the cheaper side.

Check the exchange rate first. 5RMB isn't close to 5GBP, but you may buy a beer for 5RMB in a local shop and I have it at some restaurants for that price as well.

Usually in restaurants you pay more. 5GBP or may be you wanted to write 50RMB I only paid in bars with foreign beers or hotels beyond IBIS standard or some clubs.

You can live very cheap and also expensive, but you have to try much harder than in London to spend equally as much.

Rule: local stuff cheap, imported/foreign stuff more expensive.

Public transport is cheap. Beijing''s tube is 2RMB per ride. Taxi is cheap as well. Short rides from 10RMB.

You will have fun!

Edited: 7:41 am, May 21, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beijing - expensive?

the hotle price is really cheap and actually beijing ischeaper than london .we say expensive is the house price but the expense is good i think beijing is cheaer than some small town

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,049 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beijing - expensive?

Much cheaper than places like London for hotel, food and mostly everything.

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
Level Contributor
30 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beijing - expensive?

Beijing is Cheaper than London...but expensive than manyAsian countries...Hotels are very Cheap..Use Metro Train in Beijing its works out very cheap but not ment for very late nights...For food I am a pure vegetarian, so culd not eat anything in China...had to carry all the way from India.

Edited: 8:41 am, May 21, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,049 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beijing - expensive?

@sandeep -plenty of vegetarian and even vegan restaurants in Beijing.

Mentioned in this post
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,796 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beijing - expensive?

Sandeep, next time you come to China, check without some Indian people living here. There are pure veg Indian restaurants in big cities in China. Usually more expensive than in India I have to admit, because a lot of ingredients have to be imported, mainly spices.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beijing - expensive?

Hi there. Currently in Beijing visiting from New Zealand. Generally very cheap but there are some tricks to know. A coke is 40yuan (nz$8) in Hotel reception, and 3yuan (nz.60c) from shop across road.

Was at touristy Great Wall yesterday, local bottle water was 8yuan, imported Evian was 25yuan.

Found a lovely restaurant with mostly locals eating. Had 2 large dishes (beef and chicken) plus rice and 2 big bottles of local beer for 80yuan. (nz$16) Fed both of us and delicious. Friendly service, lots of smiles and hand signals when ordering.

If you get a good guide, they can arrange things cheaper than through the hotels who make big markups. I was measured up in room yesterday for full cashmere wool suit with silk lining, being made as i type and delivered for fitting tonight... 1800yuan (nz$360). Guide also arrange 90min in-room massage for 170yuan (nz$34) which was awesome. Hotel prices for these services started at double those rates.

Personal tour guides are great value for money at big attractions because so much history to learn and absorb. Being on a bus with 50 others would suck big time.

Its a great place!

Mentioned in this post
The Great Wall at Badaling
The Great Wall at...
9,910 Reviews
Beijing, China
8. Re: Beijing - expensive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 22, 2013