We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Email access in China

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
Email access in China

Hey everyone - just about to board place to Beijing.

I have read that internet access is quite regulated in China. I would love to access Facebook while I am there and post pictures for friends back home - however it looks like Facebook access is blocked.

My question: It is critical I can access our companies webmail while away. It's on a normal hosting service located in the US and I access it either via POP3 (on iPad WIFI) or webmail (on a iPad browser). Will/could this be a problem?

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,693 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
1. Re: Email access in China

I have no problem with my gmail and yahoo mail acct. It's difficult to say about your company's mail.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
47,509 posts
856 reviews
491 helpful votes
2. Re: Email access in China

No issue with email generally.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3. Re: Email access in China

Cheers. Thanks guys. Will report back how it goes on this thread in about 24-48 hours. :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
41,535 posts
454 reviews
195 helpful votes
4. Re: Email access in China

Apart from Facebook, for which you need a VPN, you shouldn't have problems. Some colleagues have occassional problems with G-mail.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
68 reviews
145 helpful votes
5. Re: Email access in China

As Zhuhai says you need VPN for facebook etc- if you know someone in Beijing with VPN ask them to add you to their account temporarily. If the company server you are using in the US has VPN there is still no point DIY because you will have to pay a fee which isn't worth it for a couple of weeks. That why it's better if someone will let you piggy back.

Emails are usually fine.

Have a great time !

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
6. Re: Email access in China

Awesome - thanks for those tips. I've paid US$11 for 1mth of VPN (hidemyass). Will pickup an iPad SIM from airport and let you know about access.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,944 posts
68 reviews
145 helpful votes
7. Re: Email access in China

Someone likes his Facebook :-)))) Good job. If you have a problem with HideMyAss when you get to China they have a forum - but I guess you will have sussed that out lol.

Beijing
8 posts
8. Re: Email access in China

it's no problem to start your email.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9. Re: Email access in China

Hi guys and girls! Landed and sitting in Hotel lobby waiting for room. Grabbed an iPhone sim from China Unicorn at Beijing airport (no ipad ones) 120yuan for 2gb data which seems ok. Free wifi seems to be everywhere.

VPN doesn't seem possible - all blocked on sim data and wifi. Even hidemyass website is unreachable. Nev mind. :(

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
6,214 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
10. Re: Email access in China

VPN is possible in most hotels where you have internet on the room. Also many wifi places do not block it.

I use it my self frequently when I internet in public places. You are shure they cannot tap your passwords. I have a router at home that supports VNP, so I can set up my own connection.