We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

Here are instructions on how to get a transit stamp to allow you to leave the airport in Beijing. This is NOT as visa, nor do you need one if you are staying less than 24 hrs. I saw many questions, and and since I just did it, I thought I'd post what I did. It was seemless, smooth, not a bat of an eyelash, and perfectly legal.

REQUIREMENTS

- international to international connection

- baggage checked through (although I don't think this matters)

- onward ticket or boarding pass

1. Take an Arrivals/Departures card from the flight attendants on the airline. You will not have a visa number, nor a place to stay, so don't fill that out, but fill out everything else (name/passport#, etc).

2. When you arrive, you will eventualy get to an open area in which there are International Transfer Desks as well as Immigration. DO NOT go to the International Transfer Desk, as that will take you to T3 and you won't be able to get out.

3. Go towards the Immigration counters. There are 3 types of lanes: Chinese Nationals on the right, Foreigners on the left, and the last lane on the left is marked "Special Lane". There is a sign there indicating that if you are in international-international transit, and if you have checked bags, then you can get a stamp to allow you to "leave the restricted area temporarily".

4. Go to the Special Lane. Many passengers who are continuing on internationally, but via a domestic airline will also be in this line. I simply presented my passport (Canadian), my copy of my onward flight/itinerary (printed at home), and my baggage tag indicating my bags were checked through. Stamped passport 30 seconds later.

5. Retain the departure card.

6. Enjoy Beijing. Do a tour - plenty of them available to take your money and take you to the sights. I hiked the Great Wall for 3 hrs.

7. When you are ready to go back to International Departure / T3, get your boarding card from your airline, and proceed to the gate like everyone else. You will present your departure card at Immigration, like everyone else, and proceed thru security.

7. Voila - you have exited and entered the airport, legally, and without any hassle.

I had someone make a call to immigration at Beijing, to confirm for me (in Chinese), that this is possible, and acceptable. If you'd like to confirm yourself, the numbers are:

8610-58105400\ 64530880\ 64563610

Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
The Great Wall at Badaling
The Great Wall at...
9,990 Reviews
Beijing, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,265 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

Were you in terminal2? I have seen this desk in terminal2 but in 3. Thanks for reporting on this.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

I guess he was, because in T2 the Chinese lanes are on the left and foreigners on the right.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,816 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

Thankyou for posting & it will be very helpful to other people transiting.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,901 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

>> - international to international connection

more specifically, international to international connection, to a 3RD country (or HK SAR/ Macau SAR). For example, Tokyo - Beijing - Osaka does not qualify.

>> baggage checked through

Not required. You can even have totally separate tickets for your onward travel(which often means you cannot possibly have your bags checked through)

Edited: 10:09 pm, March 31, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
London
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

Thanks for this very helpful information. Just wanted to ask your advised on how to get to the great wall from the airport T3. We are stopping over for 10hrs and we are planning to visit the great wall. We are travelling with 2 small kids 4 years and a year old. What can you recommend?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,265 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

This a different topic, please start a new thread.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

I was arriving and departing from T3.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

Our family also did this in July, 2012. We were travelling from Sydney to Beijing and then Rome so our baggage was checked in. We had a seven hour stop over so followed the instructions from an earlier post. We kept asking the lady in the 'Special Lane' is it ok and she said it was fine if we had connecting flights and our luggage was checked in. We had a hot but interesting day in Tiannamen Square and visited a tea house and a silk shop.

Mentioned in this post
florence
Level Contributor
95 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

Thanks for the useful post. Is this valid for all nationalities? I have emailed the Chinese Visa Service in Rome, Italy, asking about this, but they suggest to get a transit visa in advance and not at the airport. So I'm a bit confused now...any other experiences on this? Thanks!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,265 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stopover permit/transit stamp in Beijing - INSTRUCTIONS

A transit visa is something else. This is a visa exemption. Italians should be ok.