We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia
Level Contributor
227 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

My wife and i would like to visit China next year but being animal lovers, epecially dogs and cats our trip would be ruined if we saw these animals in cages waiting to be slaughtered for someones dinner. Is ther any way we can avod this or do all the markets and resturants feature animals in cages? We know dogs and cats are a m,ain food source in China but we will not go if we have to witness this

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
375 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

I hope you mean the pet market?

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

Why should we end a discussion on this?

That would be not respectfull towards Chinese people, for who eating dogs is part of their culture and history.

It is not to us, western people, to judge this.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,398 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

BePu, I would like to comment on two of your statements:

"But you will never find one displayed in a restaurant,"

--> mainly true, more often hanging in glas cabinets on the street in front of the restaurant (e.g. Shenzhen Luohu - not in Beijing, not in many parts of China).

"...who eating dogs is part of their culture and history."

--> it is a kind of meeat eaten by some Chinese. Not much a cultural thing and getting less.

You are right, no need to judge on this. Western people eat pigs (also used to be kept in the house) and sometimes horses and lovely little rabbits and also cows and other animals. One could find that strange as well (just talked about the horse sausages with a Chinese friend - he found it strange).

Never saw cats on display.

Edited: 4:46 pm, December 21, 2012
Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
975 posts
1 review
Save Reply
34. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

I also like to discuss about the topic in general ... it really depends on the culture. As cookie said, Europeans eat pork. Tell this to muslims ... they would say it's digusting ...

Whatever ... I'd still like to know where I can find an animal market in Beijing.

It seems to be very hard to find information about it on the net. I only found the Beijing Guanyuan Market market. But looks like a fish market ...

Edited: 5:05 pm, December 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

In some small towns, there might be somebody keen on eaten dogs or cats. But not common in the large city like Beijing or Shanghai.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

Patal w: how can tell? As Cookie said, you do only see the meat in display and mostly only at locations where only chinese eat. So you do not see the word "dog" anywhere.

Even in Beijing. At Ghost street you can eat dog meat.

Uga, Spain
Level Contributor
16 posts
494 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

i have been in China in multiple cities over the last week. not seen any dogs or cats in cages. lots of dig meat in Hanoi Vietnam though.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,114 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

Is there something wrong about cats and dogs in cages? What a stupid and ignorant OP.

Our cat is a part of the family, she was adpoted from SPCA 14 years ago, dogs and cats are kept in cages. I guess it is okay for us Americans or Canadians to do it, because we are civilized, better, smarter and kinder people?

When traveling in many Asian countires, I have visited many nice pet shops, not to buy pets but we just love to look at them, cats and dogs are kept in cages, comfortablly in air conditioned and well managed pet shops, BTW, very expensive pets. I have also visited a cat show in Los Angeles couple years ago, cat beauty contest, they are kept in cages. If you do not keep them in cages, what do you keep them in? acrylic cases? natural setting like a zoo? or free range running around the pet shops, SPCA, cat show ground?

We traveled extensively through China on business for 15-20 years, never seen cats and dogs in cages. Never seen them sold as food anywhere, but if they do eat them, what is wrong with that? who are we to judge or change others. However, I rather not see or read about it.

Many ignorant Americans thougth it is disgusting for Chinese to eat pig or cow inside parts or feet, not knowing or forgot that is very common in many European countries, including Germany and Italy.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Can we avoid seeeing Dogs and Cats in cages

Macbicimini, It's not the OP - they posted in 2011.

ThaiFish you are probably not going to encounter a market in Beijing that sells dogs & cats for food. Go southern China if that is what you are trying to find.....

If you want an interesting Wet Market to wander around in Beijing go to Sihuan Wet Market ( Rundeli Schichang) - off Deshengmennei in Xicheng ( Not far from Houhai). Lots of interesting foods to see & also a good selection of Beijing street food.

Edited: 7:56 am, December 23, 2012