We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Wall Of China

Birmingham, England
9 posts
Save Topic
Great Wall Of China

We are staying in Beijing late March and will be looking to take a trip to the Great Wall. Can anyone recommend a certain section that is less tourist action and also a good guide we could hire. We don't really want to go in a big group of people if possible.

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
The Great Wall at Badaling
The Great Wall at...
9,807 Reviews
Beijing, China
Beijing Tour Van Rental
Day Trips, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Multi-day Tours
China Beijing Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
LETS
Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
vw
london
Level Contributor
262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Wall Of China

We were in Beijing last April. Been to Badaling, Juyongguan and hiking from Jinshanling to Simatai. Badaling was far too commercial, don't go there. Juyongguan is ok, and is quite close. Just get a taxi.

Hiking from Jinshanling to Simatai is by far the best. In fact, it was our high light of the whole trip. The view was just breathing taking. It will take about 4 hrs one-way.

Just hire a taxi for a day, about 500RMB. Your hotel bell boy will help you here.Ask the driver to take you to Jinshanling and pick you up at Simatai 5 hours later. The only draw back was the drive to Jinshanling was about 3 hrs. But it worth it. See my full report in tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294212-i2147-k350…

Mentioned in this post
2. Re: Great Wall Of China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:31 am, January 31, 2006
3. Re: Great Wall Of China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:04 am, February 01, 2006
Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Wall Of China

I agree with vw. If you decide yo want a guide, you probably could arrange one through one of the hostels in Beijing such as Beijing Downtown Backpackers Accommodation, Red Lantern House, Far East or Leo. I can't recommend a particular one, but my experiences with these kind of places is that they are informal and low-budget, but mostly honest.

Hostels tend to cater to people wanting the kind of trip you want rather than air-con buses to Badaling and will usually help people staying elsewhere.

Mentioned in this post
Red Lantern House
Red Lantern House
323 Reviews
Beijing, China
Far East International Hotel Beijing
Far East International...
138 Reviews
Beijing, China
Leo Hostel
Leo Hostel
433 Reviews