We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

badaling great wall by train

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
badaling great wall by train

Hi im off to beijing next week and wondered if anyone has been to the great waal at Badaling by the train

Does anyone know the schedule for the trains

Many thanks

Beijing
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: badaling great wall by train

There's a train at 9:30 and at 13:19, they leave from the North station and take an hour. Unless you really love to ride the train, taking the direct bus is probably the better way to go (and cheaper).

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: badaling great wall by train

thanks for the reply,

what bus is it and where would i catch it from

many thanks

i would go on a tour bt most seem to go to the ming tombs and dont stay that long at the wall

im not bothered about going to the tombs

MArk

Beijing
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: badaling great wall by train

The direct bus 919 leaving from Deshengmen, but be careful, because there are 3 different 919's leaving from this area.

The Ming Tombs isn't such a bad stop and most tours stop there very briefly. Most will spend 2-3 hours at the wall, which is more than enough time, especially at Badaling.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: badaling great wall by train

I saw a review about getting there, here on TA, but don't know the link. It did caution about getting the correct bus and, if I remember correctly, implied that there were 'fake' buses there. It wasn't clear what the reviewer was referring to, though. Going by bus is pretty straightforward, they leave from around the back of the watchtower, run frequently and take no longer than the train, which has a very limited service. The express bus is prefixed with the Chinese word 'kuai', meaning fast, which looks like this: 快

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: badaling great wall by train

Bus number 919 - near the Deshengmen gate tower & the Jishuitan subway. The Express bus is the better one to take - they take one hour & cost RMB 12. There is also the normal local bus but it takes 2 hours ( very cheap RMB5).

At the Deshengmen station the official buses are green. There will be a sign with 919 written in red and the writing will be in green & says Deshengmen - Ba Da Ling both in English & Chinese.

The first bus leaves at 6.30am and they run regularly until 6pm. The returning buses run between midday & 5pm.

Qupnicely - I think I remember that post? It was about buses that were not official ones - smaller private buses were putting sign's in the window that said bus 919. And touts were trying to get the people lined up to use them instead of the official buses.

There are also tourist buses leave from the Beijing Sightseeing Centre - Near Tiananmen square.They depart between 7.30am & 11.30 am & cost about RMB120 which includes admission to Badaling.

There are also cheaper tours run by most Hostels ( like Downtown Backpackers). You will need to check out which ones don't include the Ming tombs. They cost about RMB180 and include admission and usually lunch. Just make sure there are no shopping stops.

The S2 trains are fast but when you arrive at Badaling by train it is a 1 kilometer walk (there are signs up or just follow the people) or you can get one of the mini vans that hang around the station.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: badaling great wall by train

Thanks for the added info, Annie, those regular fast buses are actually more like what you would call coaches in Britain - many of the longer out of town routes use these kind of vehicles now. I found the page with that review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g776965-d311… but readers should note that the info about 'fake' bus stops is inaccurate - those are real bus stops for real buses. However bus 919支2 doesn't go to Badaling - you'd need to read Chinese to understand it, though - it just goes to where it says it does on the board (which is nowhere the average tourist would be going). That is perhaps why the reviewer has stated that the express bus just drove by without stopping - because it is not its stop - and continued on round to the back of the watchtower where the station actually is.

Beijing
Level Contributor
614 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: badaling great wall by train

There aren't necessarily fake buses, but there are 4 or 5 919's that leave from Deshengmen. The best one to take is the 919大站快 with the 919支 as the 2nd best choice (just make sure you don't get on the 919支2. The 919快 isn't all that fast and the 919直快 doesn't stop at Badaling.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,564 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: badaling great wall by train

Qupnicely & Modernleifeng thanks for clearing that up. There has been a lot of disinformation in the past about buses to Badaling.

Buses are particularity hard for non Chinese readers but they are so much cheaper than trains & taxis.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,767 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: badaling great wall by train

#9 You can put information here on TA boards without adding your firm's advertisement. No one asked for it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: badaling great wall by train

Thanks for the Replys Guys real Great help

just need to make sure i get on right one now and im assuming there easy to fins when i get back on in Badaling

Many thanks for your Help

MArk rider