We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the great wall-what part???

essex
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
the great wall-what part???

Hi I am going on holiday to beijing in august and want to know what is the best part of the great wall of china to walk? me and my husband are both young and fit so are happy to stretch ourselves and walk steep climbes!!!

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,613 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the great wall-what part???

There hundreds of questions like yours in this forum. Have a look at page 2 and you see the same question.

You can also do a search on "great wall" and you get so much information that you can hardly finish reading it before august :-)

I suggest to have a look at the "things to do" section on the left. Then if you have specific questions, ask them in the forum.

essex
Level Contributor
51 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the great wall-what part???

cheers will look now!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the great wall-what part???

With respect to the Great Wall, there are different options with different experiences. Badaling Great Wall is crowded than the other sections, because it is much more easy to reach and relatively cheap, attracting not only the foreign tourists but also the locals.

Mutianyu is famous for its beautiful scenery, but it is relatively far from downtown, so it is less crowded than Badaling.

In a word, busy & popular Badaling, scenic Mutianyu, hike along Simatai or see wild Huanghuacheng. Come and explore your favorite one!

Maryland
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the great wall-what part???

We joined a tour group in Beijing but wanted our own personalized experience of the Great Wall. One reviewer at Tripadvisor recommended Victor as a guide/driver and we were very pleased. We contacted Victor and described our lifetime dream of experiencing the sunrise at the Great Wall away from the hawkers and hordes of other tourists. Victor arranged for us to stay at a Bed and Breakfast (modest breakfast) so that we could hike up the Great Wall Trail at dawn. It was a beautiful sight, made all the more special upon seeing a prayer flag at the peak. From atop, we can see the other hikers (using binoculars) also hiking the opposite mountain since the village is in a valley traversed by the Great Wall. Afterwards, Victor drove us back to Beijing and took us to Old Beijing, a local restaurant for hearty Peking Duck, rickshaw at Behai Park, and the Lama Temple. Since our tour had only 2 days in Beijing, we were glad to skip out and spend the day with Victor on our own schedule efficiently and enjoyably. Being sisters who don't speak the language or know anyone in Beijing, we felt safe walking unfamiliar streets with Victor but yet be catered to what we wanted to do and see. Our lifetime cream of seeing the Great Wall in solitude and sanctity would not have been realized without Victor. we highly recommend contacting Victor at Chinapeace88@sina.com. You will not regret that you did!

Edited: 10:20 pm, June 07, 2010
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: the great wall-what part???

simatai and jinshanling, 4 hours to do it.

san francisco
Level Contributor
504 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the great wall-what part???

hi,

we hiked the section from jinshanling to simatai last july and it was amazing. we were pretty much to ourselves until very close to simatai. yes, it's about 4 hours as the previous poster said, but try to start as early as possible, especially in august! we had spent the night previous to the hike camping at the wall, so started off right at dawn - an incredible experience itself! we were very hot and exhausted by the time we got to simatai, but the zip line down over a reservoir (search "flying fox simatai" on youtube) was soooo fun! we were 5 people traveling together and did the overnight arranged with a guide, but i think the youth hostels in beijing organize day hikes on this section as well. feel free to pm me if you want more specifics.

7. Re: the great wall-what part???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, December 06, 2010