We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Millbrae, California
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

I am traveling to Beijing on the 25th of this month and I want to know if there is any bus tour company in Beijing that offers the hop on hop off service that you see in other major cities (Paris, Rome, London, U.S.)?

I am staying near the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square and Temple of Heaven (within walking distance) but I also want to visit a lot of locations (Summer Palace, Drum Tower, Olympic Stadium, Behai Park, Legation Quarter and the Marco Polo Bridge) at my own pace so I don't have to rush to see everything before the bus leaves.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

I've heard that there're 2 new sightseeing bus lines, one which covers the major historical sights and the other which covers the Olympic-related ones. However I don't have the details.

I'm also certain they don't go as far as the Marco Polo Bridge.

Seriously though, what's wrong with figuring out the sightseeing via metro? That would be more efficient than buses.

Millbrae, California
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

Hi Elyse,

Thank you for the post. Does the metro take you close to the sights I mentioned?

Does the metro have a website? I tried to do a search but only found one site that was under construction.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

Check out http://www.explorebj.com/subway for a good interactive map of Beijing's metro system.

Marco Polo Bridge is way out of town so it's not directly reachable by metro. It's not a hot sightseeing spot either, so even if there was a sightseeing bus I doubt it would be included on the route. The nearest metro stop would be Bajiao Amusement Park on line 1, then a taxi ride for the remaining 11 km or so, which I guesstimate should cost around 30-40 RMB or so?

Nearest metro stop for Summer Palace is Bagou, the NW terminus of line 10. From there, a taxi should cost about 10-15 RMB to get you the remaining 3-5+ km to Summer Palace.

Nearest metro stop for Drum Tower is Gulou Dajie on line 2 (ring line).

For the Olympic buildings, the closest metro stops are undoubtedly the ones on the Olympic spur (line 8). More specifically I think the nearest stop is Olympic Green, although I can't be sure.

Best way to get to Beihai Park is probably to do it after Forbidden City, as its east and west gates are a relatively short taxi distance from the north gate of Forbidden City.

The Legation Quarter is now called 东交民巷 and lies between Qianmen (line 2) and Chongwenmen (lines 2 & 5) metro stops.

Millbrae, California
Level Contributor
161 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

Dear Ellyse,

Thanks for all your help!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

No problem, you're welcome.

indianapolis
Level Contributor
134 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

hello,

are you travelling solo to china?...i am going the 26th stay there for 5 nights.

manila
Level Contributor
70 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

Hey Ellyse! I really find your advice useful. We're staying in Sariz hotel in haidan district this novmber 27-30. What subway is nearest the hotel which I could use going to wanfujing and the toy market?

How long do you think is the travel time going dowtown? Would you recommend Sariz if I want to go shopping sale items?

What's the climate in last week of November? Soma say its winter others say its sunny? I want to know what clothes to bring. Thanks.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,254 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

The nearest metro stop to the hotel is Haidian Huangzhuang on metro line 10. Refer to http://www.explorebj.com/subway for a good interactive map of Beijing's metro system. It doesn't seem to be a particularly good location if you're going shopping or sightseeing, unless you're shopping only for computer/electronic items at Zhongguancun; or visiting Summer Palace, Old Summer Palace, Peking University and the Olympic Green.

To get to Wangfujing, take line 10 from Haidian Huangzhuang to Huixinxijie Nankou, then line 5 to Dongdan, change to line 1 and alight at Wangfujing. It should take you around 45 mins. I don't know where's the toy market.

Look on weather.msn.com/local.aspx… for weather data for Beijing.

If you have any more queries, email me directly at ellyse99@yahoo.com and put "TripAdvisor" and your own username (eg rossManila) in the subject line.

9. Re: Hop on Hop Off Tour Bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, October 06, 2009