We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Forbidden City

Saipan
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The Forbidden City

My husband and I were just in Beijing July 20-24, 2005. We stayed in the downtown area within minutes from the Forbidden City. If anyone out there is traveling to Beijing soon, skip this tourist site as the majority of buildings are covered in green cloth for renovation. We had heard that the Summer Palace was nice, and if we had more time, would have gone there.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Forbidden City

Yes, Forbidden city and Temple of Heaven are being renovated for the 2008 Olympic. Just a part of it.

Summer Palace is a nice choice all year round except winter season. One of amazing attraction of accient Chinese architechures is combine buildings and nature together.

There is a suggestion for the alternative of this one day tour to summer palace.

grabe a taxi in the early morning, get to the main gate which is south gate of Beijing Zoo if someone interested seeing Panda,(pay twice for the entrance fee, one for main gate, 10 rmb and one for panda 10rmb ) spent an hour or so, in the west part of the Zoo, you will find a ferry port, the boat leaves every half hour regularly during the opening time, late spring to late autum. one way ticket is 40 rmb include summer palace main gate entrance fee, which is 30rmb if you buy it at the gate. the voyage takes about 45min for which it is worth to have a sightseeing the river side of Beijing.

The summer palace is huge, ever, never think that you can have a quick tour within two hours. Last time, I was spent 7 hours there with my American clients and still missed one third of the whole place.

Assume that you get to the summer palace at 10am and finish the tour at 3pm, you still have time for fragrant Hill, where you can take a cable to enjoy an overlook view of Beijing if the weather is clear enough for the visibility. cable car stop at 4pm generally, if missed, go to biyunsi temple for a quick tour. I am sure you will enjoy it.

If you have private tour company and he/she who is knowing well of the city, ask him/her take you to Carving Time Cafe for a refreshment. I find that the large cup of coffee latt and cheese cake is the best in town. pet allergic

One the way back to city centre, a chinese western restaurant is a good choice, I mean the cuisine if from the western part of China, xinjiang and yinchuan style.

a tiring but harvested day is finished, go back to the hotel, have warm bath.....

Kent

private tour package service offered includes, a vehicle, a driver, an English speaking tour guide.

For details email kentcxd@yahoo.com.cn or kentcxd@hotmail.com

serious request call 13801190922