We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tour is best the see the Great Wall of China?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Which tour is best the see the Great Wall of China?

I am wondering if anyone has any experience (good or Bad) with tours to the Great Wall. I'd love to see it, but would also like to combine the tour with a farm visit or something like that.

Are there any tour organisers that are really good, or ones to avoid?

Gosh I have so many question LOL

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which tour is best the see the Great Wall of China?

The Wall has its history for thousands years since there is a war. the real accient Wall has 700 years without maintenance because the Wall is used to defense purpose, Qing dynasty which is actually the invader. why they bothered to spent money on the wall to defense their homeland?

Most part of the Wall open to the tourists is rebuilt by the government as they have sponsible for the safty.

It's convenient to join-in a one day tour group for the new Wall. go to any hotel front office, they can link you to the tour agencies.

If you are fit enough for the real accient wall, call me at 86-1380-119-0922. I have a JEEP. maximum three passengers. picnic facility available if needed.

Let's trade some emails kentcxd @yahoo.com.cn or MSN kentcxd @hotmail.com

Saipan
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which tour is best the see the Great Wall of China?

My husband and I spent four days in Beijing just this month, from July 20-24. We stayed at the Prime Hotel. Through this hotel and many others, like the Hyatt Grand, you can get information on tours through a well-known business called Gray Line Tours.

We decided to book a private tour, which meant a driver and an English speaking tour guide. The tour guide spoke pretty good English, a few gaffs but not many, and he was very polite and professional. We decided on a half day (five hour) tour of the Mutianyu part of the Great Wall, as it was about a 90-minute drive from the downtown area. Plus then we told our tour guide to bypass the usual stops at high priced shops, which we are not interested in.

This tour cost us $136 USD vs. about $80 for the two of us with their group tour, but we felt it was well worth it. Along the way there, the tour guide answered every question we had about the crops, villages, etc. And like I said, no stops that we didn't want. We had him pick us up at our hotel at 8am, so we got to the Wall around 9:30am, which was perfect. Very few tourists and we lucked out on a cloudy, cool morning.

We were also interested in the Simatai tour, but that would have meant a three-hour drive each way, and neither one of us wanted to spend that much time in the car, so Mutianyu was a good choice for us. As much walking up the steps as you want, in two different directions. And a tram option to take you up part way if you want. I think Simatai is all walking, with some areas very narrow and no walls on either side of steep inclines...

Get on to the Gray Line Tours website to read up on their tours. We booked ours only one day in advance once we were already in Beijing, but you can also do it ahead of time online if you want. Again, I would spend the money for a private tour no matter what your area of interest is. It makes for a much more relaxed experience. Have fun!!