We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beijing for 6 days in August

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Beijing for 6 days in August

I will be in beijing for 6 days in August soon. I have never been before.

What is a suggested itinerary?

What should I be aware of?

Any tips and advice would be very welcome

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

Hi, Stefano,

Peking opera is wonderful but depends how you choose the play. call me when you here, 13801190922, I will make arrangement for you either peking opera or acrobatics.

I have been to shidu years ago. It's a beautiful place. in October, depends on how late in October, as the Autumn here are pretty short. without green, this place is just a desolated mountain & valley.

ChengDe is worth for a trip of two or three days. where the imperial resort locates. and amazing temples, all epitome of famous Chinese temples. Let's trade some emails. I can show you some pictures. It took 4 hrs drive. two days might be too tight.

regards,

Kent

Changzhou, China
7 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

kent,

Would around the 19th, 20th of oct be considered too late for shidu?

also, how much would it cost to rent some wheels, say a mini passenger van with a reliable driver for a day? Would the rental include diesel or petrol?

Changzhou, China
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

And one last thing...

Heard from my aussie fren that at the simatai section of the great wall, people can climb up to a certain section and then do a flying fox down.

Would you happen to know anything about that?

thanx

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

late Oct is little late for shidu tour. that place is good for late spring and all summer visit.

My gf's father has a nine seats van but only available for the weekends. I have jeep. and have a paid membership card to hire 4 wheel drive SUV. less than 30usd/ day. just have someone in your group who has an international drive license drive after me. I charge 100usd for one day excursion exclude gas. most of vehicles in China refuel gas.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

there are many flying fox club in miyun, huairou county. I never did tho, as my interest is horse riding. I can check it out for you.

Vancouver
7 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

Hi Kent!

I am also a fellow dog lover! Fortunately mine is of the none shedding breed!^^

I am interested in your services but I am slightly confused with your rate. I am student travelling on a budget and only have Sept 24 (arriving at night)-27 to explore Beijing. I will probably be booking my own hotel, though I will need help with that too! Do you accept Canadian currency?

Thanks in advance!

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
17. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

Hello!

I just got back from a month long trip to China. I can answer a couple of questions out there...

--There is a 10K hike along the Great Wall starting at Simitai. You hike about 9K and then can take a flying fox over water down. It was an awesome experience, but don't do the hike unless you are in good shape. I was out there with other 20-something year olds and we were getting exhausted. The fact that it was about 120 F certainly didn't help. So, leave Beijing very early to get there before the sun hits in full.

--I didn't see the acrobats show, but I did see the Kung Fu show. The performance tells a story through the Kung Fu and dancing. I thought they got a little carried away with the Kung Fu tricks by the end (breaking rocks, balancing on swords, etc.). However, my guy friends thought there was too much dance and not enough Kung Fu tricks! The point here is that we all enjoyed it and it seems to be nicely balanced.

--There is loads to do in Beijing--it is one of my favorite cities in the world now. I was there for 5 days and wished I had been there for longer. I would love to return for a few months. I think that if you're the type of traveler who likes to spend time sites, you should go for at least 1.5 weeks. I spent nearly a day at the Summer Palace; half a day at the Temple of Heaven; a couple of hours at the Lama Temple; half a day wandering through the parks north of the Forbidden City; half a day for Tianamen Square and the Forbidden City; etc.

Enjoy!

Changzhou, China
7 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

Thanks chl23

That was helpful. I think we are reasonably fit and seeing that we'll be there in oct when the weather's cooler, that 9k hike sounds really exciting!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

Hi, Sumthin-Sweet,

I don't have internet access at new apartment for couple of days. I will email you back detailed information two days later. Pls forward me an email at kentcxd@yahoo.com.cn and cc to DonCanDu@yahoo.com

Don is now in toronto. He has been staying in beijing with me for couple of years. He will be happy answer you.

The rate is negotiable depending on difficulties. Canadian currency is alright.

London UK
Level Contributor
405 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Beijing for 6 days in August

Sky057, I would say 6 days for Beijing is too long, I am just back and peeked on the place after 3 days, there really is not that much to see or do. Are you including Shanghai during your trip?