We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card or Cash or ATM - which curency?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Credit Card or Cash or ATM - which curency?

Can I pay for most things with my Master Card and live on a little cash or do I need mainly cash.

Also I have heard there are two currencies = the local one and tourist one ....does anyone know about this?

Tour-Beijing-Day Tour
Helicopter Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Travel China Guide
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Beijing Walking Tours
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
The Trippest Mini Group Tours
Private Tours, City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,692 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Card or Cash or ATM - which curency?

You will need cash--China is not a very credit card friendly place. Credit cards are useful mostly for hotel bills, upscale restaurants and a few shops.

ATMs are convenient for getting money, but your bank might charge fees. Make sure the machine displays the symbol of your ATM card system. You can easily exchange cash at a good rate in the airport, your hotel, or any bank.

There used to be two currencies (FEC and RMB), but this system was abolished in the 1990s. Now there is only RMB.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Card or Cash or ATM - which curency?

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Card or Cash or ATM - which curency?

I took Australian dollars and changed them at my hotels my daughter took her card and got money 'out of the wall' whenever and wherever she needed it - her's was much better and easier I think!

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Card or Cash or ATM - which curency?

Hi

When my wife and I went to China and Beijing a couple of years back we only brought our credit/debit card. We used ATMs to get cash and we used the card when paying at better resturants. I have posted our experience in a trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there :-)

Regards

Gard