We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hutong in beijing

UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hutong in beijing

Hutong is really fascinating me, I love old and traditional kind of stuff, very romantic. Anyway, I was thinking to stay there when I visit Beijing next year but some said the facility are simply not there, e.g water and electricity, is it true?

Is it a choice for holidaymaker to stay there?

Thank you.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,693 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hutong in beijing

There are a few courtyard-style hotels and hostels in the hutongs, and even a B&B or two. If you want to stay in one of those places, by all means do.

Most are not very fancy, but they do have running water and electricity!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,786 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hutong in beijing

Hi memeuk,

Try Guxinag 20. This is a new boutique hotel set in a traditional ally. There are only 28 guests rooms & you get things like flat screen tv's & wireless internet. There are fab views over traditional Chinese rooftops. The rate was about yuan 750 when I was looking into it last year. www.guixiang20.com

Or Hotel Kapok. Not in a Hutongs but only 5 minutes walk to the Forbidden City. This was built in 2006 & was designed by Zhu Pei a famous Beijing architect. It has a bamboo filled courtyard in the centre. The courtyard rooms open onto a small garden & they have huge round baths. www.hotelkapok.com (about Y800)

Or Hotel de Cour SL. This is in a secluded area down a winding alley. Very stylish with a secluded courtyard & has glowing red lanterns at night.Only 14 rooms all individually decorated and face a garden. Has mosaic bathrooms with huge showerheads & luxurious bed linens. www.hotelcotecoursl.com

Hope this helps. I love the Hutongs too!

Annie

queensland
Level Contributor
97 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hutong in beijing

Hi, We are heading to Beijing in September and staying in a B&B in a Hutong called Beijing Courtyard Hutong B&B. You can find reviews on it here or they have a website www.bb-china.com. Happy Tavels. Mary

UK
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hutong in beijing

Thank you so much for the replay. I'll google it, well, I only look for clean, comfort bed, hot water 24 hours and with friendly, helpful working people there, of course good location too, however, we are not staying in the hotel all day long.

Thank you and have a nice summer.

columbia missouri
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hutong in beijing

The website for Cotecoures is quoting a price of $168. Where and when did you find a reservation for the price you have quoted?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,786 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hutong in beijing

Christine211, I didn't quote a price for the Hotel de Cour but towards the end of last year the price I was given was RMB1265. (Approx Aus$210)

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hutong in beijing

Last month I was in Beijing and visited a hutong court yard. Our guide said it was also possible to stay there (rent a room).I think the costs were 400-500 rmb for a night.

If you like you can contact Catherine Lu (our guide) and ask her how this can be arranged. Her email is catherine_1130@hotmail.com

8. Re: Hutong in beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:24 pm, October 07, 2009