We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internal Flights in China

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Internal Flights in China

Hi there, does anyone have experience of booking internal flights in China. We are travelling to Shanghai then need to get to Xian and then on the Beijing. I have been told to book these flights when we get there as they are much cheaper. Does anyone have any experience of the airlines there and which ones are the cheapest and do we book at the airport or at our hotel? Any info would be great. Thanks a lot

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internal Flights in China

The prices between airlines are competative. Try booking them through your hotel. After they quote the price, ask for a discount. If you can't get at least 40% off full fare, try a travel agency outside of your hotel. Most will know enough travel English to get through the transaction--it will help to have the Chinese characters for your destination in case you totally mispronounce it. They will often know terms like 'round-trip' and 'one-way' in English.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internal Flights in China

Here's a good website to preview recent reviews on what you'll get, including photos of meals...

http://www.leisuretraveler.net/

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Internal Flights in China

email me your exact itinerary, I can help with the flights & hotel booking.

Beijing resident, excellent communicator with vehicle, personal tour guide, interpreter, business consultant, many influential contacts to assist in business introductions and procedures relevant to doing business in China. Will negotiate a fair price dependent upon the degree of difficulty. Serious inquiries only phone 13801190922

or trade emails kentcxd@yahoo.com.cn

Wish you a nice trip in China

Kent

Saipan
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Internal Flights in China

Yikes, watch out for that responder who said he would handle your flight arrangements. He might try to bilk you for some heavy service charges. No offense to the honest people in Beijing, but we found the vast majority to have an agenda, if you know what I mean.

My husband and I took several domestic flights during our recent travels to China -- from Shenjen to Nanchang, from Nanchang to Beijing, and from Beijing to Hong Kong. To get an initial idea of what flights are available across all domestic airlines, I found a website in English, www.qixo.com.

Yes, you can realize savings by getting your tickets while in China, but you need to weigh that with a couple things. First of all, if you want a specific flight, for example, if you want to leave first thing in the morning to make the most of your day, vs. having the flight consume your entire day, then it's wise to just pay the extra dollars but get the flight you want in advance. Another factor to consider: do you really want to spend your vacation time in China dealing with travel plans? I didn't, so I arranged it all beforehand.

For what it's worth, there's my two-cents worth. Good luck on your travel plans and have a great trip!

5. Re: Internal Flights in China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 pm, July 31, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internal Flights in China

my daughter and I have just returned from China (1st August).

we booked all our internal flights at our hotels and we thought the prices were good. definitely ask for discounts and they get you 40% off. We took Air China flights from Shanghai to Xi'an to Beijing and there was no problem getting a flight any time on the days we chose. The airline staff were excellent and we even got a really nice boxed lunch on both flights.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1 post
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internal Flights in China

You can try a Chinese travel agency in London or book at your hotel business office.

Check on first class. It is only a little more and is very nice.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Internal Flights in China

4-hour delay Beijing to Chongquin and same from Yichang to Shanghai. Shanghai Airlines from Yichang had us seated in row 37 in an aircraft which ran out of rows at row 35. Then, during a further delay, they gave us our snack box - contents were - dried fish, a conventional cookie, something else sweet and cough drops...yes cough drops. So booking the flights is just the start, then you have to get through them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Internal Flights in China

well, we did two internal flights on Air China - both booked at hotel business desks, both left on time and arrived (safely) on time. Lunch boxes on both were very nice. No complaints here! (p.s. and the fares were very cheap)

Wiltshire
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Internal Flights in China

Hi Maz, we are off to Beijing on the 1st of sept. and we hope to fly to Xi'an, can you tell me what the fare is with a 40% discount, and, we have not yet booked a hotel, could we just turn up and be ok? Finally, is there much to see in Xi'an apart from the Terra Cotta army, because we are wondering how long to stay there. Thanks in advance! BritPete.