We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical outlets

Palm Beach Gardens
11 posts
Save Topic
Electrical outlets

I will be staying at the Shangri-La Beijing Hotel. Can anyone tell me the type of plug I may encounter? I want to take a curling iron and would like to make sure I have the correct type of adapter plug. I already have a converter. Thanks for your help!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,689 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical outlets

This hotel will provide you for free what you need. The adapter will probably in your room already, if not just call housekeeping.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical outlets

http://www.kropla.com/china_power.htm

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical outlets

Your curling iron is most likely US voltage only (120VAC/60Hz). Your travel transformer (converter) will need to have a "high" setting to be used with a curling iron or you will run the risk of burning it up. The converter should be able to handle upwards of 1500W.

You may know this already but I've seen some "no frills" converters that were not up to the task.

And as the others have said if the hotel's built in outlets do not accept your plug directly they have adapters for guests use.

I travel with this kit, it's great;

amazon.com/RCA-Foreign-Voltage-Adapter-AH260…

Have fun in Beijing!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,955 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical outlets

I have never stayed at a hotel that supplies adapters. OK so I am a cheapskate - Surely if you can afford the Shangri-La you can afford a $10 adapter or better still a Chinese-made curling iron!!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,689 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical outlets

I am finishing a 7-week trip in China. I was in 13 cities. I forgot my adaptor at home. I never paid more than $100 for a hotel and everyone of them lent me an adaptor. Some have them in the room already.

6. Re: Electrical outlets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 22, 2009