We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Beijing / Do we need a guide for Great Wall ?

New Delhi
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Beijing / Do we need a guide for Great Wall ?

1) My wife and I are planning to be in beijing for 4 nights. We wish to stay on Wanfujing street so we can walk out at night. We narrowed our choices to two hotels within $100 budget.

a) Park Plaza ****

b) North Garden Hotel ****

Any suggestions ?

Do we need a guide for a 1/2 day trip to Great Wall ?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Beijing / Do we need a guide for Great Wall ?

Not sure about the hotels, but for Great Wall, NO need for a guide.

We hired a taxi for half a day (400 Rmb) and went to Mutinayu. Less crowded than Badaling. Get you hotel to write down the Chinese characters for you.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Beijing / Do we need a guide for Great Wall ?

How long drive and stay at Mutinayu ?

I believe this section of the wall more scenic ???

I hear is closer to the airport...what time would it be advisable to leave hotel in the morning to be back at Beijing airport at 7pm for a 9pm flight.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Beijing / Do we need a guide for Great Wall ?

Park Plaza is better location,it is a nice hotel.Easy walk to Wangfujing street.

For the Great Wall,If you know the history and do hiking section no need for a guide,i don't think guide will hiking with you for long distance.If you want to know lots of history,no need to worry all your trip,everything organized by the guide,maybe a good guide will helpful.

Good luck!

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Beijing / Do we need a guide for Great Wall ?

Mutinayu is more scenic.

It's around 60-90 minute drive depending on traffic.

I stayed there 2-3 hours.

So that's a 4-6 hour round trip.

Miami Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Shanghai Region
Level Contributor
6,532 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in Beijing / Do we need a guide for Great Wall ?

No guide needed. Read about it in LP or other guide book and then just walk the wall, maybe try to avoid other tourists so you can get some fine pictures. The visual experience is the thing!

6. Re: Hotel in Beijing / Do we need a guide for Great Wall ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 am, September 06, 2009