We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money exchange

germany
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
money exchange

who can recommend the best place to change money? is it a good idea to have some yuans before arriving in Beijing? Do the hotels offer a reasonable exchange rate? Are the cash dispensary machines reliable? Is it possible to get money using the Euro cheque card (EC)?

Thanks for your help

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,690 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money exchange

You can change money at the airport, Bank of China, CITIC banks, and at most hotels. The exchange rate and fees are about the same everywhere within China, so usually it is easiest to change money at the airport or in your hotel.

ATMs are also widely available, although only some will work with international cards. Look for machines with your card system's logo. Bank of China machines accept most international cards and seem to be reliable and easy to use. I'm not sure about the Euro cheque card.

The exchange rate is much worse outside of China as far as I know. Unless you are arriving in the middle of the night and will need money for a taxi, you can wait to change money at the airport.

Have a good trip!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money exchange

travellernet is exactly correct. I totally agree, but in case of emergency, I would suggest just exchange a little bit, and then you can exchange at the airport or hotels, which I found exchange rates to be very fair. Just remember to keep all receipts of your money exchange if you want to change it back before you leave China, without the receipt WHERE and HOW you got the Yuan, they will not exchange your country's currency for you.

California
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money exchange

I wouldn't bother exchanging any ahead of time. There is a cash machine at the airport and an exchange as well. They are also happy to take American dollars (in small denominations) so if you want to have something on hand for an emergency...get some dollars. My suggestion, when exchanging...try not to go overboard. They are happy to exchange into Yuan but really not happy to exchange it back again!