We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peking Opera Beijing

Which Beijing hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Peking Opera Beijing

We have optional Peking Opera visit in Beijing, is it worth seeing? Should we DiY when we get to Beijing bypassing the tour operator?

Sorry to fire questions into TA - we are off in early June.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,659 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peking Opera Beijing

I'd say it is worth seeing. You are probably going to the show at the Qianmen Hotel, which is a fairly short, active show with excerpts from a famous opera (or operas).

It is 100% for tourists, but that's what we are, and I think it is safe to say you wouldn't want to go to a real opera for hours and hours.

You could DiY, but it is not really cheap to get tickets on your own, so my guess is you wouldn't save much.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
85 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Peking Opera Beijing

I think the Beijing Opera is definitely worth it for the experience of different music and singing... while (unless you know Mandarin) you will not understand the language, the plot is fairly easy to follow.... th make-up is fantastic... really looks like a mask when it is not... we went to the Huguang Guild Hall... through a tour agency... its like a dinner/drink theater... the old artistic atmosphere was very nice.

BJ
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Peking Opera Beijing

Of course,it's worth to see,you know,it's one of the famous show in China. The Acrobatics and Kungfu also very famous.you can DIY,but I am afraid the price of the tickets will be higher if you book them by youself.

Have a good trip.

4. Re: Peking Opera Beijing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, August 31, 2009