We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
255 posts
350 reviews
253 helpful votes
So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

The Chinese embassy's website says you cannot leave the airport. Anyone landed in Beijing and able to go to an airport hotel (or just outside the airport) on a 24 hour visa free transit??

I just don't know whether i can do th is if i have an airport hotel for the night. Or do i need to apply for the 72 hour visa free thingy when i arrive??

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84242.htm

Mac
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
19,500 posts
62 reviews
100 helpful votes
1. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

You gave no data.

What passport, how many hours and how many stops? Where from/to? It depends.

Austin, Canada
Level Contributor
51,808 posts
889 reviews
526 helpful votes
2. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

Assuming that you have a valid transit, they will only let you leave the airport if they consider that your time is long enough. Based on previous reports here, it seems that you need over 8 hours.

London, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

The link you provided was last updated 2008..

You can't choose which type of TWOV you get. Assuming you meet he conditions you get 24h TWOV when your layover is less than 24 hours or 144h TWOV if layover is longer than 24h. As pointed out in previous reply there are reports that people with short layover are not allowed to leave the airport, in some cases even with 18-19 hour layover. You can ask your airline to check your luggage only to Beijing, in which case you have to pass immigration to collect bags and check them in again. But some reports from Guangzhou say that even this might not work anymore. If you have hotel booked, print out booking confirmation and show it when applying TWOV. Couple of other pointers from different forums: when layover is <10h and you're asked about your plans, don't say you want to go to town. Instead explain that you want to go eat landside (cheaper and more choice), have a shower and maybe a short nap in hourly pay lounge (landside arrival level in T3). If you are in Beijing overnight having a hotel booking helps, even if you're not palling to use it.

Having just returned from my holidaywith two stops in Beijing I can consider myself lucky. On outbound I had 6.5 hour layover and inbound 11h, but due to 5h flight delay I was again left with 6.5h. On both occasions airline refused to check bags only to Beijing, only explanation I got was "it's not possible".

First attempt: no queue at TWOV counter, nice and friendly lady says 6.5h is very short time to leave the airport, I said I only want to go outside to have a cigarette. She laughed and stamped my passport.

Second attempt: On the way back I had actually planned to visit the city, but that plan got flushed with delay, so again my only reason to go out was to have a smoke. Three people in front of me I in line, but queue was building up quickly. To my suprise not a single question was asked or any word at all said to that matter. My face was compared to passport photo, onward boarding pass examined, passport stamped and off I went.

Edited: 3 years ago
Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
4. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

Hi

same here, confused about what to say, if I say that i wanna smoke, I wonder if inside the airport there might be a section for smokers?

I have a layover of 9 hours and i would love to visit great wall, I wonder what should i say?

Thanks

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
5. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

Beijing Airport is now smoke-free. So using the excuse of wanting to go outside and have a smoke actually might work at getting stamped in. Definitely don't say you want to go to the Great Wall, that's likely to get you a refusal and sent back to airside.

Brooklyn, New York
1 post
6. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

can I get the 24h visa if I have a return ticket from Hong Kong to Beijing and back to Hong Kong? with approx. 24hr stay in Beijing

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
7. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

#6 There is no such thing as a "24 hour visa" it is a visa exemption. And, no this is not a transit since you are returning directly from China to the place you came from. You won't be allowed to board the plane in Hong Kong without a visa. Oddly enough, you would be OK for visa-free transit if you flew Hong Kong > Beijing > Macau (or vice versa). Assuming your passport is such that you can use 24 hour TWOV and that you are admissable into Macau.

1 post
8. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

Thank you for this info, now an even more complicated question:

I am entering Shenzhen with a 5day visa at the Hong Kong boarder. No problem here, but now, can I fly from SZ to Beijing and back to Hong Kong? Or would that be a violation of the SZ 5 day visa, even if I only will be in SZ for three or four days?

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
9. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

Violation. The 5-day Shenzhen pass is strictly limited to Shenzhen and you may not travel elsewhere in China (not even to other parts of Guangdong province) if using it. Depending on your nationality, you may be able to get a visa-on-arrival at Luohu border crossing. This is a regular Chinese visa and it would permit you to go from Shenzhen to Beijing. Check other recent threads on the forum for information about this, and remember it is NOT available to certain nationalities.

london
Level Contributor
83 posts
99 reviews
67 helpful votes
10. Re: So Confused: 24 hour visa free transit
Save

Hi all,

My partner and I have booked flight with Air China to go to Australia in November. We fly from London - Beijing - Melbourne and on the way back Sydney- Beijing - London. On the way to Australia, we are planning to get one of the layover tours to see the Great Wall as we would have 14-15 hours stopover and on the way back to London, we are thinking to go to the city center as we will have about 9 hours. We have both UK passport

Now reading your comments, sometimes they don't allow people to leave stopover time is short.

What are your opnions on this. Do you think it is too short and we should not even bother for the second stopover on the way back to london

Many thanks

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.