We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

My husband and I are applying for our Chinese visas. Because he is French and we live in the UK, he needs to provide "proof of legal status":

"(4) Proof of legal status (applicable for those not applying for the visa in their country of citizenship)

If you are not applying for a visa in the country of your citizenship, you must provide the original and photocopy of your valid certificates of residence, employment or student status, or other valid certificates of legal stay provided by the relevant authorities of the country where the Visa Centre is located."

He doesn't have a "certificate of legal stay". He is an EU citizen so he doesn't need a visa or residence permit to live in the UK. He is self-employed (he runs his own company).

So are there any other documents he could provide as proof of legal status? Could he just provide a bank statement or council tax / utility bill as proof of address?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
109 reviews
43 helpful votes
1. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

Call the visa application center in the UK to get the right answer!

Not sure if there is a need to register your residence with authorities in the UK. Usually such a document is accepted.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
2. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

Not sure if there is something like a residents' registration office in the UK. E.g. in Germany you have to register your place of residence for tax purpose.

I need the same "proof of legal status" for my China visa and I get that as, a standard print out, from the registration office / town hall. That form states that my registered address of residence is xyz.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
25,857 posts
49 reviews
17 helpful votes
3. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

Does your husband pay some form of income tax to the British government? I am thinking that may be proof of legal status.

3 posts
4. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

Hi,

I am very interested on the outcome of this situation since my partner and I are in a similar situation. We are both from Spain living in UK and we need to apply for the visas from here. What you did about the "proof of legal status" ? Would the National Insurance Number be enough?

Thanks

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
5. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

i am interested as well. i am italian and i need to apply for chinese visa in london. what documents I need as proof of legal status? is a proof of address acceptable?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
6. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

Yes, I always get an official document confirming my registered address. Never had a problem with that.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
49,237 posts
868 reviews
495 helpful votes
7. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

@laoWei - and you always apply in a country other than you country of citizenship?

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
8. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

thanks for your reply! Anyway I just received an email from the VISA office in London and they said that British/EU citizen do not need proof of legal status when applying for the VISA.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,811 posts
9. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

Yes, never applied in my home country yet. And lucky you, because in Germany they do ask for that document.

London, United...
1 post
1 review
10. Re: Chinese visa application - proof of legal status

Just as a warning. Please get that document, I don't know how, but provide it even if it's not a requirement.

I am Spanish, living in London for the last 3 years. I am self-employed (contractor). I applied for a visa L tourist and I have emails from the centre where I applied saying: "You don't need that document as you are a EU citizen". Not true. My application got returned and I have to re apply providing the document. I won't make it on time...

They ruined my holidays, I will miss my flights and they are not refundable (my mistake).

Please, get that document if you can.

Edited: 7:12 am, September 12, 2016