We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

Hey all - my Wife and I (from Canada) are traveling to Hong Kong/China for the first time. We are obviously looking to make the most of our trip and have come up with the following itinerary and would love to hear some suggestions or feedback! Thanks in advance!

We leave April 3 and return April 22 (route is in order below)

Beijing - April 4,5,6,7

Hong Kong - April 8,9,10,11 - Including Macau

Shanghai - April 12,13,14,15 - Hangzhou and other nearby towns

Guilin/Yangshou - April 16,17,18,19

Guangzhou - April 20, 21 (Our return flight is from Guangzhou on the 22nd)

Are there any places that we should spend less more time in. Considering our limited time, we know we are missing areas like Xi'an and other parts of West and South China.

Thanks, everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

It makes more sense to fly out from Hong Kong. And then you travel from north all the way to south (Beijing - Shanghai - Guilin - Hong Kong)

If you fly from Guangzhou and you plan to visit Hong Kong in the middle of the trip, you will need a double entry visa for mainland China.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,869 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

Actually, you could fly into Beijing and out of HK. If you fly air canada it is the same price as a return ticket.

If you already have your tickets then from Beijing first go to Shanghai, Yangshuo, HK then Guangzhou. Minimal backtracking this way.

I would also add a day to Beijing and deduct it from Yangshuo.

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
toronto, canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

We are actually flying with Hainan Airways out of Chicago (flying to Chicago from Toronto).

Good thing with them as that I was able to add the Beijing-Hongkong flight for no extra charge but that left me with Hong Kong in the middle of the trip.. having to book Shanghai separately.. and then onto Guilin .. with our return from Guangzhou...

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

as long as you have double entry visa for mainland China it is fine.

toronto, canada
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

Is it advisable to buy the "inter-china" flights from now or would it be about the same price when we get there.

Right now all we have booked on our air ticket is Chicago-Beijing, Beijing-Hong Kong and Guangzhou-Chicago. We are looking at Shanghai Airlines and China Eastern and their fares are decent, but they dont seem to change much from day to day

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

You can look on travelzen.com for flights and purchase whenever you think the price is good. Overall, I'm not sure that your free flight to HK will save anything.

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,940 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

For around a month ahead, it is ok to buy now.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,058 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

I would book the domestic China flights now. I am not having good luck lately with travelzen's website--something seems screwed up regardless of browser. Right now my go-to is www.elong.net but www.ctrip.com is close. I'm also not sure that free flight BJ-HK is going to end up saving you money in the end, but let's go with it AND (very important) assume you have a double-entry Chinese visa.

Itinerary: Keep order you have and don't add anything but tweak a bit for optimizing transport, budget, and time at each place. You should do Macau after Hong Kong, minimize time in Guangzhou and add to Shanghai area. Consider not daytripping everything from Shanghai. Overall, this strategy will save you some flight cash on these domestics, without adding inconvenience or cutting into your sightseeing time. As follows:

April 3-10 As you have it already, presumably PEK-HKG is on the 8th.

April 11th Morning ferry/turbocat HK to Macau, spend rest of day and overnight there.

April 12th Cross border to Zhuhai and fly Zhuhai - Shanghai Hongqiao, MU 5202 11:05 -13:25, RMB 830 all-in. Rest of day Shanghai.

April 13-16 whatever combination of Shanghai, Suzhou/Hangzhou, water town you want, end up in Hangzhou.

April 17 Morning fly Hangzhou -Guilin JD5548 08:20-10:15, RMB 750. Rest of day Guilin or head to Rice Terraces.

April 18-20 Guilin/Yangshuo region.

April 21 Fly Guilin-Guangzhou. CZ 3231 08:00-08:55 or if starting from Yangshuo, CZ 3291 12:30-13:30 means you won't have to get up so early. Both of these are RMB 780, all-in.

This puts your per person domestic air cost at RMB 2360. Not sure you are going to do much better than that. Guilin in particular has surprisingly limited capacity and flights to/from generally don't discount that much except maybe in winter low season.

Mentioned in this post
Macau
Macau
China
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
9. Re: Hong Kong / China Itinerary for 16 Days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, March 14, 2015