We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

Houghton, Michigan
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

My 11 y.o. daughter and I must travel from Guilin to Hong Kong on the morning of 7/2. I've priced the flights from Guilin to Hong Kong, and it would cost about $600.00 for both of us to fly via Dragon Air. Is there a more economical way? The flight from Guilin to Guangzhou is not nearly as expensive, and we would be willing to travel by train or boat to Hong Kong from there to arrive before 2 pm. Any recommendations would be appreciated. We would like the travel cost to be under 300.00 USD total for us both.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

Whether you can reach HK (where? airport?) by 2 pm depends on when you will arrive Guangzhou. Guangzhou airport does not have bus directly to HK airport, but transportation to the city is convenient. Once in the city, you can take bus or train to HK. A lot of options.

In Guangzhou forum you search "Hong Kong". A lot of related posts.

Bon voyage.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,855 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

As there are several flights from Guilin to Guangzhou so I did this once. It turned out to be quite long as I first had to get to the train station. Then there was no tickets available for the train to HK for the following 6 hours. So instead I took the train to Shenzhen which is very frequent. Then I cross the border from Shenzhen to HK and took the subway. In the end, it was not worth the savings. Better to fly from Guilin to Shenzhen which is also a (cheaper) domestic flight.

Alternatively, if you really want to save, you can take the train K950 that leaves Guilin at 22h20 and arrives the next morning at 11h02. Soft sleepers are only 442.5RMB (less than $80) and you save the cost of a hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Houghton, Michigan
Level Contributor
35 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

Thank you! I think I should fly Guilin to Shenzhen and then cross the border. It looks like China Southern has a flight around 111.00/USD one way. Is it much of a bother to cross the border into Hong Kong? Will I need any type of Visa or would this be covered under the Visa I apply for that covers the entire trip?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,335 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

There is no need for HK visa for US passport.

JP's suggestions are right. For you, SZ is much easier than GZ, avoid GZ, mainly because there is no direct connection from GZ(CAN) airport, you need to make your way into the center of GZ to transfer to bus or train to HK. For SZ airport, they built a web of transports to connect the 2 airprots(HKIA).

Flying nonstop to HK is more expensive because it is int'l. I had similar issue before, getting to/from HK to Ningbo is far more expensive than flights inside China. But transfer through land is not exactly a piece of cake, takes some effort with luggage, heat and transfer can be taxing. The only solution is to plan the overall trips in advance to avoid pitfalls.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,767 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

Guilin is not that far from Hong Kong. I would take the overnight sleeper train, from Guilin to Shenzhen. When you wake up in the morning, you will be at the Shenzhen (main) Railway Station, just to walk across the border (Luohu/Lo Wu) to the other side, that's Hong Kong. MTR (metro) the rest.

If you fly from Guilin to Shenzhen, you spend time commuting to the airport (Guilin) and Shenzhen airport to the border, which is not exactly close. Too time consuming. Plus the extra wait checking in, security, etc..

Mentioned in this post
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,767 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

And if you decide to fly to Shenzhen, I would take one of the many cross-border bus rides from Shenzhen Airport to various drop off points in Hong Kong, depending on where in Hong Kong you are going. It is better than trying to metro/taxi to Luohu or Futian to cross the border, and then MTR. Buses usually use Shenzhen Bay border check, which is less congested and should go faster than the other 2 borders.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, January 25, 2015